We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Preschool At the Bruffeys!

I've been sensing the need to implement more of a flexible "schedule" in our days, beyond the meal times and sleep times we have established. Having taught for one semester in Deaf education before we moved to Texas, I decided we would start to set up some preschool-like activities at predictable times during the day. I'd love to be able to set up "centers" and hope to figure out how to use the space in my house to do so, but for now I'm going to add just one or two things that can become predictable in our days that add learning and fun and some more structure interspersed in Jacob's days of free play. I pulled out the things I created in that one semester (I was working to get into education and hoped to make it a career, then we moved) and am really excited by what I saved! It has weathered 2 1/2 years in storage pretty well!

My calendar system!

I need to update the year and take some of the pieces to Mardel for laminating and picking up some more velcro squares to repair some things, but overall it is in pretty good shape! We started today talking about the day and the weather. I know it won't be something Jacob can really engage in for a while, but we can talk about it and work on numbers and seasons and days as the weeks and months unfold! I'd SO love to have the money to buy and assemble a whole new system (I remember how much fun I had at the teacher supply store in Bowling Green, KY when I was putting this one together!), but we'll use what we have until it falls apart (go Dave Ramsey!).

I have several sets of flashcards - some for numbers, others for shapes, others for colors. This set is for colors and shapes. Jacob has started pointing out colors - his favorite so far is green, followed by red, so I'm capitalizing on that and working on those 2 colors and then "shapes" he loves - mostly dogs and balls!

I made this "Fish for Feelings" game to use with a kindergartner I was teaching so we could talk about the concept of feelings. I want to make a more "sophisticated" fishing game (I was on a LOW budget when I was teaching and even lower budget now), but this was an exciting find so we can do SOME fishing! The game I want to make is this one: http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/gifts-for-boys-in-your-life.html - with felt fish and a dowl rod pole, but for now my paper fish labeled with feelings and a metal paperclip and my leather rope with a magnet glued to the end works! Jacob got in to holding the fish and letting me "fish" for them. :-) 

I bought these pom pom balls at the Dollar General right near us here in Haslet (LOVE that place!) and they've been great for talking about colors (again - he tends to throw these out and then pick up the green ones and say "gween ball! more gween ball!" - but we're working on shape and color!)



So, I added these things, along with several other learning activities I found in my teacher's bag to the color wheel and playdough mats (I finished laminating and binding all 20 playdough mats this week)... and now we have a great....

Activity and Learning Shelf! We also have some great sidewalk chalk, crayons and coloring book, playdough for the mats, a preschool activity set I had for teaching, etc. I have some magnet letters I keep in a locked cabinet due to the size and we use those on a cookie sheet for letters and colors. 

Feeling MUCH more equipped to have structured learning time!

~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two

4 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! I'm sure Jacob will have lots of fun playing/learning with his momma:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey friend! Love your stuff. I can't wait till Eden is 3 and I can pull out all our Montessori homeschooling stuff. I made ton of stuff for Noah when i home schooled him for kindergarten! i love my thermal laminator...it is my best friend. Yay for you! Also, thanks for the words of encouragement...it means sooooo much more than you know. Love and miss you much dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl do I miss you! I was just telling my sis-in-law in Nashville how you were a friend I would love to see more regularly! We could SO walk together as Mamas! I am SO eager to start more structured activities with Jacob - I know some will be a "fail" at 21 months, but he'll let me know what works... and I would LOVE to email about your homeschooling things - utilize some ideas because I KNOW you as a teacher would be crazy fun learning! and I was thinking today how MUCH I want a laminator! I seriously would laminate daily, haha! When I worked for the school in KY - I was a laminating QUEEN! A store here called Mardel laminates for $0.25/foot - so not too bad.. but to have one at home - whoo-hoo! anyway - love you and miss our talks and some Sorenson craziness!

      Delete