Jacob and I headed to Wal-Mart today for some groceries and some pregnancy/labor equipment we've learned about through our journey with our midwife and our childbirth class instructor. There were 3 things I wanted to get, and 2 were a success! One I've been wanting to get for a while and had my eye on a different brand, but this one is one used and recommended by our awesome childbirth instructor and was about HALF the price of the original one I'd found, so I snatched it up!
Gold's Gym Stayball (Exercise Ball) - 65cm
These are amazing! This exercise ball has sand in it to stabilize it, which is really nice for this pregnancy lady taking a seat! I'm actually sitting on it as a "chair" while I type this post! Super comfy! AND, great during labor (I've called these kinds of balls "birth balls" for over 2 years now, haha!). I'm excited to have one at home to use during the remainder of my pregnancy and during our labor! And they are awesome for sitting on and balancing and bouncing to soothe an infant! I've had a 55cm one and the size difference is amazing! The 55cm caused my hips not to align quite right as far as using it to sit. Here's the difference between the 55cm and 65cm:
To give you an idea of the size of the 65cm:
Stayball versus Kylee!
The equipment for blowing up the Stayball - that hand pump was "fun"... got a great tricep workout!
The second successful shopping purchase was.... socks! Yep... socks.
In childbirth class last night, our instructor (who is also a very experienced doula AND pregnant with her 3rd little one!) taught us various labor comfort measures and positions. One thing she taught us about is how, during transition (near the end of the 1st stage of labor), many woman oscillate between being hot and cold. When cold, you can put a rice pack that has been heated in the microwave on her lower back or under her belly or on her neck - it relieves pain and provides warmth! How to make said rice pack? Tube socks! You take a tube sock and fill it with 3 cups of rice - tie it off in a knot, then heat in the microwave for 2 minutes! It stays hot for a while she said. I thought that sounded like an ideal Mama B labor tool - love me some heat on my back! The smallest pack Wal-Mart had was a 6 pair pack - so I told Josh he could have the 5 pairs I wouldn't need... he looked at me and said, "because tube socks are so cool?" Well... guess we'll have extra tube socks! Thinking these may end up in a kid craft project at some point!
I also bought a bunch of rice and may make a rice pack to try on my back soon!
I realized in my initial publication of this post I forgot to say what the 3rd, not-so-successful purchase was. Well, it wasn't a purchase - it was what I was HOPING to get. Also for transition, when you oscillate between hot and cold, is another item our childbirth instructor uses with her doula clients - one of those spray bottles with a fan on the end. I figured with it being end of summer they'd have a ton on sale - they only had one kind and it required batteries and the fan blades were made out of like a foam - and it was over $7. I kept thinking it would probably fall apart before October, especially if little hands got to it inadvertently.. and I didn't want to have to have batteries. I know there are some that are just manual and probably under $5 - so I'm going to check Wal-greens, dollar store, and maybe Target and see what I can find. This is kind of what I have in mind:
It's "little things" some days that bring a smile.
Just about 6 or so weeks until we have our little one in our arms!
~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two






You could make extra rice packs, put a little oil in them and give them as gifts (hint, hint) :)
ReplyDeleteoooo - that's a good idea ;-) With 12 socks, I can for sure do that! We talked about lavender as a good oil scent for something like that - kind of like this herb rice pack thing my sister-in-law and brother-in-law (Beryl and Scott) bought me in Nashville that has a lavender scent - I use it on my shoulders or even eyes when I have sinus or muscle issues. hmmmm... that sounds like a great idea! My friend Sarah mentioned dying the socks with rit dye - so I'm thinking I may read up and make sure it won't mess with the integrity of an oil having it dyed and do that... but if you'd like just a white one, I can do that too :-)
DeleteI tried to sit on the birthing ball during labor and didn't like it! I know some women really like it!! I'm sure it will be great for you....I'm probably just a wimp too..haha!!! What was the third thing you wanted to get??
ReplyDeleteRice sack is a great idea:)
I hated it when I was in labor with Jacob, too - he was malpositioned and laying on some nerve so it sent shooting pains in my lower, left abdomen area... but I'm hoping it is more enjoyable and effective this time - and if not, I'm still loving it as a pregnancy "chair" and will like bouncing a baby on it, hehe. OH - the third thing was a spray bottle that has a fan attached to it - also for transition when you go between hot and cold - for when you get hot - our childbirth instructor (LOVE her) said that and the rice pack are the 2 things she carries to help with those flashes of hot and cold :-) The had one kind at WM and it was like $8 and required batteries... ummm... not what I want to spend... so I'm going to check at like walgreens or target.
DeleteGranny has a rice pack that I have used several times at her house. I thought of the oil cause I remember the pack being stinky but working very well to ease pain. LOVE birthing ball. I spent my entire labor almost on one with chip seated behind me in a stool rubbing my back.
ReplyDelete