Yesterday, to start off September, Josh and I had an in-home breastfeeding class with a local IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) who is well known and respected in the DFW area and works through an amazing organization called For Babies Sake that provides professional breastfeeding support to expecting mothers and those with infants they are breastfeeding. I prepared SO much for birth with Jacob's pregnancy and, though we had an awesome breastfeeding relationship that lasted 12 1/2 months, I learned a great deal and wanted to learn more and have professional support ready for when Ruth is born. I really loved the class and will utilize this awesome consultant once Ruth is born. We learned when Jacob was 10 months old that he has a slight upper lip tie that most likely contributed to the pain that lasted 6 1/2 weeks for us in early breastfeeding and can have long-term influences on speech, etc. We now know of a great, local pediatric dentist who does laser treatment for tongue/lip ties - so, since tongue and lip ties can be hereditary, we plan to have Ruth evaluated by our consultant shortly after birth and have her tie repaired if she does indeed have one. Also, with Jacob having dairy/soy intolerance, this consultant was able to provide wonderfully thorough information on what I can do in preparation (since she confirmed that this, too, is often hereditary) in terms of a good, dairy-free probiotic (that my chiropractor already has me taking) and a digestive enzyme that will assist the breakdown of proteins passed through to my milk. She also recommended being dairy/soy free for at least the first 4 to 6 weeks, then trying small amounts of dairy in my diet for a day, then none for a few days - to see how Ruth responds. So glad to have her guidance! I pray to avoid the trauma and pain that Jacob's severe dairy/soy intolerance caused him, and also to minimize reflux since dairy is known to contribute to and sometimes cause the severe reflux that many infants have. It was a 2 1/2 hour class and SO worth it! One of the many things we gleaned was a suggestion on snacks (dairy and soy free!) to have for when I'm breastfeeding. I'm SO excited - going to make a "breastfeeding snack basket"! I'll be making a Whole Foods run in the next week or so! Also, she gave me a whole list of snacks to have on hand - some that will be in my freezer and refrigerator. She said it is so common for mothers to not think to eat or to not really eat the best combinations of foods those first few days/weeks - and that it is even more challenging for those of us going dairy/soy free from the beginning to eat enough nutritional snacks with enough protein. One of the things she recommended is muffins that are frozen that I can grab from time to time. So, I researched vegan muffins and made my first batch last night - a banana vegan muffin - DELICIOUS! I have a few other recipes I'll be trying soon and freezing to have ready for baby Ruth and her Mama!
Had to sample a couple for quality control ;-)
Then, last night, we went to a great cookout with our small group from church to say good-bye to a precious family that will soon move to Houston. It was an awesome time of getting to know these families more and for the kids to play! The host family has an amazing backyard with a swing set, pool, and this incredible sandbox that the husband built for his son's birthday! Jacob LOVED the sandbox and, of course, swinging! Josh let me spend time talking with the ladies while he kept up with our energetic boy! It was so wonderful to see Jacob play, make friends, and enjoy the wonder of childhood in the summer!
Me and the hostess - it was so nice to get to know her more! She's about to be a homeschooling Mama and I enjoyed learning from her and her thoughts on teaching her kiddos!
Jacob and a friend. Josh said he had a blast playing with this little girl - they are only about 4 months apart in age.
Today, after church, I was able to finish hanging the wall decor in Ruth's room! I had been waiting on some 3M hanging supplies I'd ordered - I just can't bring myself to put holes in these beautiful walls yet!
Left side of the room - I hung her name painting and her scrapbook calendar (I was gifted one for Jacob and LOVED it so had to find one for BB2!).
Ready to change diapers!
All that's missing is her wipes container for the homemade wipes we use.
Our cozy nursing corner with handmade blankets from Granny (great-grandmother) and Aunt Rup (my twin sister).
Our nursing corner
(with the curtain and valence waiting for us to buy a double curtain rod so we can hang them!)
Her crib with the wall art hung!
The painting in the middle needs to be completed - I've drawn it out in pencil, but need to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby to get the paint colors I want.
We just need to do the painting of the lamp and the small painting I started, put ribbon trim on the lamp, hang the curtain/valence set, and figure out the baby monitor situation (we can't decide if we just get a 2nd camera with our current system or a whole new monitor - we want to keep Jacob monitored for a while).
A great start to our last month with just one little person in the house! Learning, encouragement, fellowship, food, and some home decoration! Tonight is our final childbirth class (hard to believe)!
September is looking great so far!
~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two










No comments:
Post a Comment