We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Jacob: A Sick Boy and Trip to the ER

Well, we had a long weekend last weekend and then a lot going on this week that included lots of time with other kiddos for Jacob. It was great, but seems his little body picked up something between dinner parties, small group picnics, church and Sunday school and then MOPS kicking off... by Monday night, he woke up in the middle of the night and was incredibly congested and his nose was a mess. By Tuesday, his poor nose was a continued mess and his breathing was more labored, so we started using his nebulizer to give his lungs a boost and help his upper respiratory system. I also doubled his probiotics and scheduled an adjustment with our chiropractor for Thursday. We started using Boiron's pulsatilla for the congestion and, once a cough hit by Thursday, we added Boiron's antimonium. We diffuse an essential oil called Breezy that helps with breathing through his cool mist humidifier, so that was already in place. I figured it was more viral or even just  a sinus cold, so we would have to let it run it course. I watched his fluid intake and kept his rest schedule on track. When we went to the chiropractor on Thursday, he was adjusted and she felt that he had about a 99 temp and she said she wished it were a little higher so his body would be fighting more. Since I was also ill and dealing with a growing sore throat and sinus infection, she recommended Standard Process' Spanish Black Radish - a natural herb supplement to help infections instead of an antibiotic. Thursday was a long day for us between a chiropractor appointment and trip to our mechanic to pick up our van.

Watching "Curious George" at Dr. Crisp's office.

He fell asleep on our way to the mechanic to pick up our van.

He was already not feeling great with a rough week and several sleepless nights due to congestion, coughing, and nasal yuckiness.

By Friday, his fever started climbing. It hit 99.7 or so just before his nap (around 1:30pm) and when he woke up around 4pm, I could feel it was hotter. Sure enough, it was 100.5. Still not dangerous and I knew it was his body doing what it should to fight whatever illness or infection he had picked up. I did give him some of Boiron's belladonna to help his body fight. We did a breathing treatment around 5:15pm and when he was done, around 5:30pm, he just looked so flushed and glassy. I checked his temperature again and it was 102.4! That was higher than I like, so I went ahead and gave him some children's advil and called his pediatrician's after hours line (truly - the times he's been sick where I decided we needed to make that call have inevitably been Friday's after 5pm!). The nurse called back quickly and was really great. She told me I could give Jacob an extra 1/4 tsp of the advil than the 1 tsp I'd given him at 5:30pm, so I did that after we got off. She also asked several questions and, because of his history of breathing difficulties and such a high temperature, she told me they wanted him seen within 24 hours, which meant a trip either to the ER at our downtown children's hospital or the children's hospital branch urgent care that is 24 hours, which is a bit closer to us. Josh got off from work 2 hours early and came home so we could take him together. With me being 37 1/2 weeks pregnant and under the weather myself, he wanted us to go as a family and even offered to take Jacob alone, but my Mama's heart just couldn't not be there. 

Shoes off to get initial exam. Tylenol kicking in to help that fever and Jacob starting to feel a bit more lively.

Long story short, it turns out that Jacob's lungs were clear (thanks to nebulizer and diffused EO!) and all his bloodwork came back clear and he was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and viral syndrome, which was what I suspected. I, of course, asked the doctor about West Nile Virus. He basically dismissed this and told me that the public panic was  based on us just seeing the tip of the iceberg of what WNV is in the news and that most people that get it never have symptoms or they are mild, but we only hear of the small percentage that are serious. Well, thanks for that doc, but as a mother living in an area getting national attention due to the large number of serious WNV cases, I would be remiss if I didn't at least inquire about that possibility! The staff were friendly and pretty fast - we were there about 2 1/2 hours, so gone a total of 3 1/2 hours. However, the overall experience was less than stellar from my perspective as a Mama (and Jacob's I'm sure!). From the time we got there and they put this thing on Jacob's toe to check oxygen level and what not, Jacob started saying/signing, "car! ride! blue!" (I want to go get in Mama's blue van and get out of here!) That request was frequent until we actually left a few hours later. His was such a trooper - when they listened to his lungs and heart, he did what he does at his pediatrician's office, which is sit up really straight and get this "tough guy" look on his face - my wild at heart man. After declaring his lungs clear and giving him tylenol for his fever (it was back at 102 when we got there, less than 6 hours since he's had the advil), I figured we were done. However, the doctor wanted to draw blood and make sure he didn't have one of several possible bacterial issues or other infections. We agreed, just to be sure, though my gut told me it wasn't any of those... as a parent, you just want to cover all bases sometimes. 

Well, the blood draw was horrid. They had this little syringe thing that doesn't have a needle that has lidocaine to numb the area where they'll stick and draw blood. I do not think any adult has used them on themselves! It was painful despite being told "it doesn't hurt and just makes a popping noise"! I knew when they told me that, he would NOT like it - he is still noise sensitive to some things. Sure enough, they held him down and did the little "numbing" and it popped loudly and left this circle with a little dot in the center on his arm and that's when the screaming began and I was about to fall apart. I held his little hand and leaned and kissed his face as he thrashed. Josh helped hold his little legs. They did the blood draw and it seemed to take FOREVER! I didn't look and don't know how many vials they took, but it was definitely more than one. Watching Jacob's face, I could TELL the needle DID hurt, even though the assured us that, due to this great numbing thing they did that he wouldn't feel a thing... again, I don't think they've tried this "amazing" procedure on themselves. Jacob looked terrified and in pain and I just kept kissing his face and telling him it would be over soon. Right at the end, he reached his hand that I was holding up and just SCREAMED and grabbed my face like "Mama make it stop!" When he did this, he jerked his other arm, that they were drawing blood from, slightly (he is a STRONG kid) and it caused his vein to blow slightly. They took the needle out and the nurse looked at me and said, "he moved so it caused his vein to blow so I'm going to try pressure to keep it from bruising." I was so done with the procedure and really did not like her implication that my 22 month old was to blame for his vein blowing and his arm ending up bruised - it would be her responsibility to ensure he was held stationary! These people work exclusively pediatrics, so surely he's not the first strong little one who was unhappy being stuck! They put a bandaid on, which Jacob detested and kept, through his tears and coughing from being so upset, saying, "OFF! OFF!" and pointing at the bandaid. We couldn't help him understand that the bandaid wasn't causing the pain. He, so far, is not a fan of bandaids anyway (which is interesting because my sister and I both detested bandaids when we were kids). 

They left with Jacob's blood and it took about 40 minutes to get our results, that his blood was clear of any other infections or illnesses, then another 10 or so to get discharged. By then, Jacob was MORE than ready to GO! 

To pass the time, we listened to music on Josh's phone, had some snack I brought, and tried to keep him distracted from that bandaid!

Finally time to take off the bandaid. Josh tried explaining that it would hurt, but Jacob was insistent it come OFF!

Daddy not really wanting to pull it off, but Jacob really insistent. Moments later, he was in tears and Josh looked devastated. But the moment passed and Jacob was glad to not have a bandaid anymore!

Listening to "BOZ" music on Daddy's phone and enjoying a snack.

Father and Son: This just made my heart smile!

Josh is THE most amazing Daddy to this boy!

We got home about 2:30am and got Jacob in bed. He has an INCREDIBLE internal biological clock and was still up by 8am, which is a bit better than his normal 7am. Mama and Daddy B were exhausted, so we brought him into our bed for some rest and snuggle time. Then, Josh took care of our buddy, whose fever was still over 100, but not near 102, while I got a shower. He hadn't had any medicine since the tylenol at the ER, which I prefer so his body can do what it needs to and I was glad to see his temp holding its own just below 101. I had made a homemade cough syrup some friends I've met through a "DFW Crunchy Moms" group I'm in on Facebook called an Onion Cough Syrup. So, we started using that on Friday and it really seems to help his cough! 

Sweet boy snuggling with Mama. His little face is still flushed, but his temperature wasn't as high - body still fighting!

Lovin' his Daddy!

Watching some "Curious George" while Daddy catches a nap. 
Jacob loves to hold his ears and has since he was little - we used to have him checked for infections, but that's never been it. These 2 Bruffey men so have my heart!

Jacob took a FOUR HOUR nap today, and, when he woke up his pillow was soaked with sweat and his fever was FINALLY below 100 degrees at 99.4, not even a full degree! This is where it stayed for the rest of his evening. It was that kind of deep sleep that allowed his body to really fight and that fever to finally break. I hope by tomorrow it will get back to normal, but I can see he is on the mend slowly but surely.

For me, I learned a lot about following my gut. I didn't really think he needed an ER trip but didn't want his pediatrician's office to think us negligent for not taking him in after telling us we should within 24 hours, especially if there was something more serious going on. I know he doesn't have asthma and hasn't had any real breathing illness in months, and the breathing history is what made them recommend him to be seen so quickly. Josh says it is better that we know, even though the blood draw was so traumatic. I think baby Ruth will so benefit from all I've learned being Jacob's Mama this past 2 years!

I love you Jacob and my heart breaks when you hurt or are sick! I'm proud of you and how you handle life when you are sick! You still have so much life, laughter, and energy and I admire that. When I'm sick, I get so down and frustrated and God is teaching me strength as I see how you have handled the times when you've been sick!

~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two

No comments:

Post a Comment