We have had a GREAT Labor Day holiday! The best part is that Josh was OFF from work!! We had our last childbirth class last night (incredible!) and stayed up late enjoying time together knowing that we didn't have to get up early and Josh didn't have to leave for work! We went swimming as a family in one of our neighborhood pools then came home for a family lunch! While Jacob napped (just over 2 hours - thank you swimming!), I got to head to Hobby Lobby to buy supplies to finish my craft projects for Ruth's nursery! Then, Josh made us dinner so I could be off my feet - family taco night! We enjoyed a family dinner (so wonderful to have so many meals together in one day!), then Josh and Jacob had some really neat father/son playtime outside while I started crafting! Once Jacob was in bed for the night, Josh and I sat enjoying one of our favorite shows while I continued to paint and craft! Just a blessing to get to be "us" as a family all day! We have family meals usually once a week (Sundays) unless Josh is off on Saturdays - so this was something of a "holiday" for us in many ways!
I LOVE water - I've been a swimmer since I was young and just love being in the water. Jacob has taken to the water so naturally and when the 3 of us go swimming, it is always fun! I got to swim some laps and then play with my guys. Jacob squeals with laughter in the pool and is learning to jump off the side into our arms. So awesome!
Here's the delicious taco dinner Josh made:
Here are my guys outside playing ball - a game that Jacob created for himself and his Daddy:
Jacob told Josh, "Daddy, sit, ball" and patted right where he wanted Josh to sit. Then he would have Josh throw the ball and he'd go get it!
Tossing the "oooo! ball red!"
Love these guys and their closeness!
Here's the painting/crafting I was working on to finish what I've wanted for our daughter's room:
I took this heart wall hanging from Ruth's bedding to Hobby Lobby and was ECSTATIC to find matching paint colors!!
This is the painting I've been working on!
The final painting! I'm a quote junkie - I've collected them for years in a document I still have and I use them constantly in writings and for inspiration and encouragement. I used to put one on the cover page of every paper I turned in during college and graduate school. I used them throughout my wedding. When I managed interpreters, I had different quotes in each cubicle that I changed out monthly. When we decided to start trying to have children, I bought a journal I called my "waiting journal" that had Bible verses quoted on each page about waiting on the Lord and trusting Him. I loved my pregnancy journal I had when I was pregnant with Jacob because EACH page had a different quote! I have them up in my home where I can and, when I one day can do even more with decorating, I'll definitely have quotes! Maybe even paintings of my own with quotes! Or just quotes painted on plaques or canvases or wood that we hang. So, I had to have a quote for my little girl! This one I used for this painting was in my heart. A dear friend gave us a statue of praying hands holding a baby when I was pregnant with Jacob that says, "for this child I prayed" and it has been so true for our parenthood journey - the praying, waiting, and gratitude for our children!
The painting with my inspiration for color and design
(of course, a Claddagh is always a part of my inspiration for much of my work)
Hung on the wall!
The painting with the wall decor that came with the bedding.
The crib and wall art ready for our little girl!
I love this set as it will be fitting even when she's a toddler and older! That was something I loved about Jacob's bedding, too - it has transitioned to a "big boy" room so easily!
This is the wall hanging that I used for guiding color and design in the paintings and decor for Ruth's room.
After the painting, it was time to finish her lamp!
Here's the original lamp I used:
simple black base (this came in a set of 4, cheap lamps several years ago)
Plain, white shade
Painted "ballet slipper pink" while watching the Olympics!
The base painted a textured brown with the shade a light pink to match the nursery walls
This was as much as I had done until tonight! It was time to finish the lamp!
I added this great ribbon to the base of the shade - it coordinates SO well with the bedding!
Then I added a simpler, velvet-like ribbon to the top of the shade - and this ribbon matched the center of the ribbon I used on the base part of the shade!
After the ribbon had dried in place, I broke out my new paints again!
I painted a heart to coordinate with the wall hangings and the same, ivory flowers that are on the bedding and wall hangings!
Another angle of the finished shade!
The flowers on the back!
The shade in place with the base!
Pretty glow of light when the lamp is turned on!
Ready for our little one! We're just waiting on the canister to arrive we ordered for making the baby wipes we use!
I LOVE getting to paint and use creativity on a day at home with my family!
Happy Labor Day, Josh and Jacob!
In about a month, we'll have another "labor" day and welcome our 4th Bruffey!
~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two


























No comments:
Post a Comment