When my son was born, I had prepared a great deal for his birth, but knew little about breastfeeding other than the class I took at our birth center. We had a great breastfeeding relationship and it started strong right from the time he was born. I had a great supply and learned a great deal about managing breastfeeding when I returned to work part-time that I would do differently. I never loved pumping, but did fall in love with breastfeeding and both the connection it gave me and my son and the benefits to him from nutrition to comfort. Until he was 6 1/2 months old, he nursed to sleep every time he slept and we were SO glad for that comfort measure as other health issues plagued him and God knew he needed something safe and secure to give him peace and allow him to feel safe. However, we dealt with a lot of pain after the first week and I later learned it was due to an upper lip tie. Also, he screamed through much of his early days and weeks and months and, within his first few weeks of life we learned that he had severe acid reflux that was exacerbated by a serious dairy/soy intolerance. I am so grateful to the lactation doula who first mentioned cutting dairy that lead us to look into that and eventually, with the reflux diagnosis, lead us to an incredible pediatric gastroenterologist. She told me to cut both dairy and soy because about 85% to 90% of babies with dairy intolerance also have soy intolerance.
It was December 22nd and I had an almost 7-week old and didn't know WHERE to start going totally dairy and soy free and she told me I could eat these things:
* turkey
* chicken
* vegetables
* fruit
* rice
I researched and added oatmeal to this list as a natural lactation aid and good breakfast option! She also told me I would not need to eliminate eggs (even though listed as "dairy", what "dairy really means is anything from a cow). So - that was my diet for the next almost 7 months until we added some soy to see how Jacob handled that. *NOTE: for those wanting to get started with dairy/soy free - this is an easy diet to start with. As another help - wen we wanted to go out to eat, I learned that places like Jason's Deli or Souper Salad were great! I would just eat the salad bar, add grilled chicken, and avoid all the cheese, dressings, and breads. As a dressing, I would use just oil and vinegar.
I dropped all my baby weight plus 5 lbs within a couple months just because of this diet! That was the blessing of this huge life change and our journey with my precious boy. I could go on and on about my thoughts on infants, their precious "leaky" guts, and the need for good nutrition preparation, but this is the nutshell version of our story.
It was December 22nd and I had an almost 7-week old and didn't know WHERE to start going totally dairy and soy free and she told me I could eat these things:
* turkey
* chicken
* vegetables
* fruit
* rice
I researched and added oatmeal to this list as a natural lactation aid and good breakfast option! She also told me I would not need to eliminate eggs (even though listed as "dairy", what "dairy really means is anything from a cow). So - that was my diet for the next almost 7 months until we added some soy to see how Jacob handled that. *NOTE: for those wanting to get started with dairy/soy free - this is an easy diet to start with. As another help - wen we wanted to go out to eat, I learned that places like Jason's Deli or Souper Salad were great! I would just eat the salad bar, add grilled chicken, and avoid all the cheese, dressings, and breads. As a dressing, I would use just oil and vinegar.
I dropped all my baby weight plus 5 lbs within a couple months just because of this diet! That was the blessing of this huge life change and our journey with my precious boy. I could go on and on about my thoughts on infants, their precious "leaky" guts, and the need for good nutrition preparation, but this is the nutshell version of our story.
Now, as we have just about 2 weeks until our second child is born, I have done a LOT of preparation for breastfeeding this little one! To be better prepared for the possibility of a lip tie (these can run in families) and dairy/soy intolerance, I contacted an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant - the "gold standard" credentials for lactation consultants) named Mellanie Sheppard through a great organization in the Dallas/Fort Worth area called For Babies Sake. She gave me an in-home, customized breastfeeding class that answered a lot of my questions, enlightened me to how normal and effective my pumping was when I was breastfeeding Jacob, and helped prepare me for the resources I need for my unique breastfeeding relationship with my second child! And, she will be available after our daughter is born and I cannot wait! She confirmed that I would need to go dairy/soy free for the first 4 to 6 weeks and then we can try some dairy for a day and see how things go, etc. I'm so glad to have her to consult! She has a WEALTH of knowledge about everything related to breastfeeding from nutrition to returning to work to managing supply to latch, etc. She is also who I'll work with to determine if our daughter has the same upper lip tie and she has given us resources (Dr. Hugh Oser in Keller!) where will have this repaired within Ruth's first days of life so we can avoid the pain that Jacob and I had to muscle through.
In addition, one of the many reasons that we chose the doula we did for our birth team is her experience with breastfeeding. She had to go through relactation after an extreme illness and has more training than even the average doula and works with Mellanie to serve the needs of her doula clients related to breastfeeding. Our doula, Kaitlyn Wages with Faithfully Delivered, will be at our birth and will be the initial person I look to to check Ruth's upper lip (and lower lip/tongue) and help establish latch. If we need more assistance, she'll call Mellanie for us and help us work with the amazing pediatric dentist in this area reknowned for fixing lip/tongue ties in little ones.
In addition, having learned SO very much about dairy/soy free eating during the year I ate this way for my son, I wanted to be better prepared BEFORE my 2nd little one arrives. A dear friend of my sister has 2 kiddos with severe food allergies, dairy included, and she was a great source of information on what "dairy" really means!
What I'm doing to prepare: I've been on a dairy/soy-free probiotic through my chiropractor for months. Also, I'm adding a digestive enzyme per the recommendation of my IBCLC that will help my body make the proteins I pass into my milk and to my baby more readily digestible. The rise of dairy/soy intolerance among babies is due largely in part to over processed foods that put these large, hard to digest proteins into our bodies that were not intended to be there, at least in a simple way of saying it. In addition, I'm cutting out most dairy and soy starting around 38 or 39 weeks (I'll have some for energy during labor) and ALL once she is born. Finally, I'm preparing meals to put in our freezer that are strictly dairy/soy free for me (and baby Ruth) to ensure I have quality foods to eat and feed me and my little one during our early weeks of breastfeeding! After living on a pretty bland diet with Jacob, I learned much about creative cooking, vegan cooking (avoiding soy substitutes) and really good, dairy/soy free food options. So, this time, I'm ready!
For those who may stumble across this post and need to live dairy-free, here is a pretty comprehensive list of what I've learned. I use this for when I grocery shop to know what REALLY "dairy" means. Many people I mention eating dairy-free to will say "oh - you can't have lactose?" It is SO much more than that!
Dairy website 1: http://www.foodallergygourmet.com/Food%20Allergy/Dairy%20Allergy.htm
Information from this site:
“Non-Dairy” Foods
Non-dairy creamers,
non-dairy ice cream and other so-called non-dairy products can contain dairy,
and still legally be labeled “non-dairy.” According to the FDA’s regulations,
only a product containing actual milk in specific forms can be labeled dairy.
The FDA does not allow milk derivatives or milk by-products to be called dairy.
So if a product has a milk derivative or byproduct, it can be called non-dairy.
Lactose is a great example. Many of the so-called non-dairy products contain
lactose, which is a derivative from milk.
These Ingredients
Contain Dairy
- · artificial butter flavor butter, butter fat
- · casein, sodium caseinate caseinates (ammonium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium)
- · hydrolysates (casein, milk protein, protein, whey, whey protein)
- · lactalbumin, lactalbumin phosphate lactalbumin, lactalbumin phosphate
- · lactoglobulin
- · lactose (milk sugar)
- · rennet casein
- · sodium caseinate
- · whey (delactosed, deminderalixed, protein concentrate)
These Foods Contain Dairy
- · Most commercially prepared baked goods contain milk or milk products.
- · au gratin, buttered, creamed, scalloped or escalloped potatoes and vegetables
- · baked goods made with milk, (breads, biscuits, donuts, muffins, pancakes, waffles, zwieback, crackers, saltines, rusk)
- · battered, breaded and dipped vegetables and meats
- · bisques, chowders, creamed soups
- · breaded meats, meatloaf, croquettes, casseroles, hamburgers (unless made without milk)
- · butter substitutes and non-dairy creamers (some)
- · butter, butter fat
- · buttermilk
- · cream, cream cheese, sour cream, clotted cream
- · cake, cookies, custard, pudding, cream desserts, or sherbet containing milk products
- · candy made with milk such as chocolate, fudge, caramels, nougat
- · casseroles
- · cheese, cheese powder or cheese sauce
- · butter, butter fat
- · chocolate
- · coffee creamers
- · commercial and frozen dinners
- · Cool Whip
- · cottage cheese
- · cream
- · cream pie
- · cream sauces and soups, white sauces
- · curds
- · custard
- · eggnog
- · eggs scrambled with milk, creamed eggs, egg substitutes
- · evaporated milk
- · French fries sprayed coating or flavoring
- · French toast
- · frozen yogurt
- · gelato
- · ghee
- · half and half
- · ice cream
- · instant cereals containing dried milk (oatmeal, rice, wheat, etc)
- · instant cocoa, breakfast beverage mixes
- · junket
- · lactaid
- · macaroni and cheese
- · malted milk, candy, shakes
- · margarines (some, check the label)
- · mashed potatoes
- · mayonnaise
- · milk (derivative, protein, solids, malted, condensed, evaporated, dry, whole, low fat, nonfat, skim, solids)
- · milkshakes
- · most commercially prepared breads and contain milk or milk products rolls
- · natural butter flavor (an some artificial flavor)
- · curds
- · condensed milk non-dairy creamers (most)
- · non-dairy substitutes containing caseinate
- · non-fat skim milk, powdered milk or milk solids
- · nougat
- · popovers
- · protein drinks, powders, bars
- · pudding
- · queso, “con queso dip”
- · salad dressing containing milk, milk solids, or milk products
- · soufflés
- · sour cream, sour cream solids
- · sports and nutrition drinks, powders, bars
- · vegetables containing with milk, cheese, butter or cream
- · whey and whey products
- · whipping cream
- · white sauces
- · yogurt
These Foods are Likely
to Contain Dairy
Read ingredient labels
carefully. In some cases, the food may not contain egg as an ingredient, but is
contaminated during manufacturing or packaging.
- · acidophilus milk
- · artificial butter flavor
- · baked goods (bread, biscuits, bagels, donuts, muffins, pancakes, waffles, zwieback, crackers, saltines, rusk, cake cookies, fritters, stuffing, dressing)
- · bread crumbs
- · brown sugar flavoring
- · canned tuna or other meats
- · caramel flavoring
- · cereal
- · chocolate
- · cookies
- · custard
- · deli and luncheon meats, processed meats
- · high protein flour margarine (except parve)
- · natural flavoring
- · non-dairy creamer and whipped topping
- · pizza crust
- · popsicles
- · processed meats, including hot dogs, sausages, and luncheon meats salami, pepperoni
- · sausage (chorizo and others)
- · Simplesse
- · snack foods (chips, crackers, popcorn, candy)
- · soy meats
- · soy yogurt
Dairy website 2: http://www.godairyfree.org/dairy-free-grocery-shopping-guide/dairy-ingredient-list-2
Information from this site:
Surprisingly
Dairy-Free Ingredients
- · Calcium Propionate
- · Calcium Carbonate (I've found this in a LOT of canned goods and was SO relived to learn it isn't dairy!)
- · Calcium Citrate
- · Calcium Phosphate
- · Cocoa Butter
- · Cocoa Powder
- · Coconut Butter
- · Coconut Cream
- · Cream of Coconut
- · Cream of Tartar
- · Creamed Honey
- · Fruit Butter (Apple, Pumpkin, etc)
- · Glucono Delta-Lactone
- · Lecithin Oleoresin
- · Malted Barley or other Grain-Based Malts
- · Malt Liquor
- · Malt Vinegar
- · Milk Thistle
- · Nut Butters (Peanut, Almond, etc.)
- · Shea Butter
Definitely Dairy Ingredients
- · Acidophilus Milk
- · Ammonium Caseinate
- · Butter
- · Butter Fat
- · Butter Oil
- · Butter Solids
- · Buttermilk
- · Buttermilk Powder
- · Calcium Caseinate
- · Casein
- · Caseinate (in general)
- · Cheese (All animal-based)
- · Condensed Milk
- · Cottage Cheese
- · Cream
- · Curds
- · Custard
- · Delactosed Whey
- · Demineralized Whey
- · Dry Milk Powder
- · Dry Milk Solids
- · Evaporated Milk
- · Ghee (see p109)
- · Goat Milk (many people told me to try goat's milk, but even our pediatrician said it wasn't a great substitute for an infant; that, if he still had cow protein issues later, it might be a good one, but not to use this when I was cutting dairy)
- · Half & Half
- · Hydrolyzed Casein
- · Hydrolyzed Milk Protein
- · Iron Caseinate
- · Lactalbumin
- · Lactoferrin
- · Lactoglobulin
- · Lactose
- · Lactulose
- · Low-Fat Milk
- · Magnesium Caseinate
- · Malted Milk
- · Milk
- · Milk Derivative
- · Milk Fat
- · Milk Powder
- · Milk Protein
- · Milk Solids
- · Natural Butter Flavor
- · Nonfat Milk
- · Nougat
- · Paneer
- · Potassium Caseinate
- · Pudding
- · Recaldent
- · Rennet Casein
- · Skim Milk
- · Sodium Caseinate
- · Sour Cream
- · Sour Milk Solids
- · Sweetened Condensed Milk
- · Sweet Whey
- · Whey
- · Whey Powder
- · Whey Protein Concentrate
- · Whey Protein Hydrolysate
- · Whipped Cream
- · Whipped Topping
- · Whole Milk
- · Yogurt
- · Zinc Caseinate
Dairy website 3: http://www.foodallergy.org/page/milk2
Dairy Website 5: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302494-list-of-dairy-free-foods/
INFORMATION FROM A FRIEND WHOSE CHILDREN HAVE MANY FOOD
ALLERGIES:
The main triggers [for
allergies in general] are: nuts, peanuts, eggs, dairy, fish/shellfish, wheat
& soy... I would start first with nuts/peanuts...
re: milk...I have a
sheet that lists unexpected places where it can be found: ready-to-eat pork
barbecue, ready-to-eat beef barbecue, hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages, potato
chips, deli meats, canned tuna, mayonnaise & peanut butter
It also says to avoid
food that contain any of these ingredients:
artificial butter
flavor, butter, butterfat, casein, cheese, condensed milk, cottage cheese,
cream, curds, custard, dry milk, evaporated milk, ghee, Half and Half,
lactabumin, lactalbumin phosphate, lactoglobulin, lactose, low fat milk, malted
milk, milk dirivative, milk protein, milk solids, nonfat milk, nougat, pudding,
rennet casein, skim milk, sour cream, sour cream solids, whole milk, yogurt,
caseinates (ammonium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium) Hydrolysates
(casein, milk protein, protein, whey, whey protein), Whey (delactosed,
deminderalixed, protein concentrate)
Other possible sources
of milk or milk products: brown sugar flavoring, caramel flavoring, chocolate,
high protein flour, margarine, natural flavoring, Simplesse
ALSO: the words
"non-dairy" on a product label indicate it does not contain butter,
cream or milk. However, this does not necessarily indicate it does not
have other milk-containing ingredients.
The Kosher food
labeled "pareve" or "parve" almost always indicates food is
free of milk and milk products. A "D" on a product label next
to the circled K or U indicates the presence of milk protein. These
products should be avoided."
That brings me to another empowering part of this pregnancy #2 journey - cooking! I was determined to prepare freezer meals and snacks that were dairy/soy free to have ready before Ruth was born. I didn't know if I'd accomplish it, with working part-time again and keeping up with my precious 22 month old. But, I started gathering recipes and looking at what I could make a lot of to be able to eat on for several meals. I decided on 3 to 5 good meals and some vegan banana muffins to have as a snack (for the breastfeeding basket I've assembled). Well, even with a sick little one and a sinus infection myself, I managed to cook ALL 5 MEALS in 2 1/2 days and they are now in my deep freezer ready for my postpartum consumption! I'm so excited and, of course, took pictures throughout the journey of cooking and preparing and have to blog about it! *SMILE*
The meals are:
- Crockpot Homemade Chicken and Veggie Soup (THANK YOU to Sarah Jones, a local midwife, for this recipe! I plan to use 1/3 of it during labor and the rest after the baby is born)
- Bean/Turkey Tacos
- Grilled Chicken with Almond Sauce
- Chicken/Egg Stir Fry
- Oven-Baked Chicken Cacciatore
So.... HERE is my cooking journey in words and pictures!
~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two
No comments:
Post a Comment