We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Some Parish Christmas Cookies - DF/SF/GF!

I have a favorite Christmas cookie! It is a Parish family favorite that we always loved making at Christmas when I was growing up! You get to roll the dough in sugar before baking - what kid wouldn't love that?? With my current diet that is dairy-free/soy-free and mostly gluten-free for breastfeeding, I reallllly wanted to have some sort of Christmas treat that was safe for me and Baby Ruth. So, I looked at these and knew I could substitute for various ingredients and felt pretty sure it wouldn't compromise on the YUM factor! I was right! I even took them to a MOPS party for my small group and one of the Moms asked for the recipe! Made me smile! So, I thought I'd share it here for other DF/SF/GF friends!

Molasses Crisp Cookies 

by: Elizabeth Parish Bruffey (from her Mother, Janet Parish) 

*Makes about 6 to 7 dozen (depending on how small or large you make them - and, for me, how much of the dough is eaten while making them!)

INGREDIENTS (PART A):
1. 2 cups plain all purpose flour (I substitute Rice Flour so they would be gluten free, but it is a bit more dry, so you can use whatever flour you prefer - if I have it, I prefer a blend of rice flour with oat flour - so 1 Cup of each)
2. 1 tsp salt
3. 2 tsps baking soda
4. 1/2 tsp ground cloves
5. scant (less than full) 1/2 tsp ginger
6. t tsp cinnamon 

DIRECTIONS (PART A):
1. Sift the six dry ingredients above together in a medium bowl 

INGREDIENTS (PART B):
1. 3/4 Cup shortening (I use coconut oil so these are dairy-free)
2. 1 Cup sugar
3. 1 egg (recently in baking I"ll substitute 1/4 C applesauce or 1/4 C banana to make a recipe egg-free)
4. 1/4 Cup molasses 

DIRECTIONS (PART B):
1. Cream the above 4 ingredients together in a large bowl
2. Combine creamed and sifted mixture together in the large bowl
3. Chill about 15 minutes
4. Put 3 TBSP of sugar in a small bowl
5. Roll 1 inch balls of dough in sugar and place on cookie sheet
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 6 to 7 minutes (or until they are as soft or crisp as you like) 

This was SO fun as a child - always a favorite Christmas memory - we loved rolling the balls of dough in sugar! :-)

Merry Christmas!

~ Mama Bruffey ~
Daughter of God, Wife of One, Mother of Two

1 comment: