We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dairy Free Breakfast: Overnight Oatmeal Jars

My twin sister, Virginia, passed on a great, easy, healthy breakfast idea from our other sister, Maren. I finally got to try it and found a way to make it dairy/soy-free and it was DELICIOUS and made for a smooth, quick morning before I headed to work! So, I have to pass it on to my fellow DF/SF Mamas out there!

Overnight Oatmeal Jars
~ Virginia Beard & Maren Hewes ~



Ingredients:
  1. 1/4 cup unsweetened flax milk (I use what we have - almond, rice, coconut milk, etc.)
  2. 1/4 cup oatmeal
  3. 1/4 cereal (my sister uses bran flakes mixed with kashi good friends cereal)
* DAIRY/SOY FREE NOTE: I found these 3 cereals through this awesome website (Go Dairy Free) that I can eat and am using in this recipe:
a. Nature's Path Organic Sunrise Cereal (crunchy maple or crunchy vanilla - DELICIOUS & gluten free)
b. Enjoy Life Granola (double chocolate crunch or other)
c. Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereals (cocoa crispy and crispy with mixed berries)

     4. 1/4 cup plain chobani yogurt

* DAIRY/SOY FREE NOTE: use goat milk yogurt (I'm using Redwood Hill Farm brand) (thought I have learned that goat products are still "dairy", but possibly more tolerable. I'm going to use this goat's milk yogurt in these jars and see how Baby Girl does with breastfeeding - if we still see issues, then I'll cut the goat's milk yogurt. Thank you to this article for information on goat products!)

*If I end up needing to cut the goat's milk yogurt, I'm going to research protein powders to use so I can have some protein in this recipe.

     5. 1 tsp honey
     6. 1/2 tsp flax seed or 1/2 tsp chia seeds
     7. 1/3 mashed banana or 1 strawberry mashed (or other fruit if preferred)

Directions:

1. Layer the ingredients in a mason jar, alternating a dry ingredient then a wet ingredient
2. Store in refrigerator overnight
3. In the morning, just mix together and enjoy!

Here is what my jar looks like all layered and ready for the refrigerator!


SO delicious!

~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of One, Mother of Two

3 comments:

  1. I make a similar breakfast. I use 1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup almond milk, 1 banana smushed, 1 Tbsp chia seeds( have you heard of these? They rock!), some cinnamon, 1 packet of stevia, and then I mix it all together in a bowl . If you need more protein, you could add some protein powder( I use something called plant fusion) and a little more milk probably. I should probably cover it, but I don't:) put it in fridge overnight. The next morning I add a Large tablespoon.....who am I kidding, it's probably two Tbsps of sunflower seed butter(another must try if you haven't ). I also usually pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to take off the chill. Yummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also use coconut milk or almond milk yogurt, but it's not cheap:) I like the coconut, but am not a huge fan of the almond milk yogurt. Come on baby Ruth !!! It's time to make your appearance;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have heard of chia seeds - they are actually in this recipe - you use either flax or chia... a friend from high school just today introduced me to almond milk yogurt - SO excited about that - she told me about a brand called Amande that I looked up - really intriguing - non-GMO, vegan, dairy-free, soy-free... so I'm going to get some to try. Is there a coconut milk yogurt brand you recommend? that helps me research... I think I'd rather use the coconut most often to avoid the animal protein from yogurt and the nut issue when Ruth is little... but I love almond milk so am hoping I like the almond milk yogurt. Virginia had mentioned protein powder - I'll have to look up plant fusion - I've been overwhelmed trying to figure out which protein powder is good, not too processed, etc... I LOVE Justin's almond butter, but have wanted to try other nut butters - we used sunflower seed butter with Jacob for a long time before trying any peanut butter and he loved it - I may pick some more up to add for some protein with these jars! :-)

      Delete