We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Friday, September 23, 2011

FLYing: A Functional, Managed Home

I've always been organized. My mother calls me her "planner". I like systems, organization, logical arrangement... a home that is functional! However, I also can get so in the details of organization, I perseverate on the trees and can lose the forest almost entirely. A dear friend, Emily Burke, and I were chatting through Skype recently and she mentioned FlyLady. She has mentioned her before, but I never really took note until last night as we talked about being wives, mothers, and managing our homes. I pulled up FlyLady this evening and after perusing the site decided to join and get started by Shining my Sink! It was an invigorating experience! Here is the final outcome - looks better than when we moved in! I have a set schedule of weekly chores for cleaning my home, but do not always get to them each day or each week. Josh and I agree - that I won't try to "catch up" at the end of the week if I haven't been able to do all my daily chores, but rather to just do whatever the day's task is and move forward. FlyLady has the same philosophy so I'm going to follow her program and see where I can improve as a home manager!

My "new" sink!


SHINY!

Left side that I use SO often!

Right side that usually has my drying rack - so much better!

The faucet - SUPER shiny!

As I mentioned, I like systems of organization that allow our home to flow as functional and smoothly as possible. One system Josh and I use to communicate and keep our home organized when our schedules keep us from having much face time is this simple dry erase board. We use this to track the medicines that our son and one of our dogs take. I erase the date and checks each morning and each of us checks off when we give Jacob or Kylee medicines. It has worked so well to ensure we don't forget a dose nor do we inadvertently double dose.

The system works!


The dry erase board is in our kitchen next to our pantry and the family calendar I keep updated on our pantry door. The calendar is yet another organization system that I use as a means of communicating with my husband and ensuring we don't forget any appointments AND that we know when we'll have time together!

Well, this Mama bird is FLYing as best she can and learning so that I may FLY, nay - SOAR - as a wife, mother, home manager, and woman working to honor God in all I do, even when I clean my sink!

~ Mama Bruffey

1 comment:

  1. Hey Elizabeth, I love FLYLADY! It works for me who is not like you, I am very unorganzied and easily overwhelemed when I see clutter or a mess and then I don't even know where or how to start. I love their philosphy, "Don't try to catch up, just jump in right where you are!"

    ReplyDelete