I love music. When my beloved husband reads this, he may smile. Smile because of how much music I know so little about. Smile because he knows me and knows what I mean. I grew up exposed to country music and Southern gospel and some Barbara Mandrel. When I was about 7 or so, my Aunt Virginia and Uncle Billy gave my sister and I the first tapes I remember us owning, though we had children's music before that. Virginia was given an Amy Grant tape and I a Sandi Patti. I still love Sandi Patti and how her life and music are a story of God's grace that is powerful. Tonight (January 26) , as my babies sleep, Josh and I are enjoying some JCTV - a Christian station that our rabbit ears and digital converter box pick up. It plays mostly Christian music videos with some news and information from today's Christian subculture here in the Western World (Christian subculture - there's a topic for another blog, smile). A song I love came on and I'd never seen the video - I was riveted! And I love sharing music with my husband! He has such deep and varied knowledge of music of all genres and styles from throughout decades, that me sharing a song with him that ends up moving him or that he enjoys and seeks out on his own - is deeply meaningful to me. My high school days were filled with music of a totally different kind - band music, classical music, etc... things I could either play on my clarinet or match to during our band's marching season. And, of course, country! In college, at Baylor University, I was exposed to a different style of music - more contemporary Christian music. It was around that time that churches started integrating more of this style music into worship services and I found the college-student-focused retreats and worship services utilized this style of music, as well, so my knowledge of music expanded by leaps and bounds! I even spent a great deal of time at a Christian store called The Compass Christian Bookstore that sold everything from Christian books to Bibles to gifts to artwork to music - listening to songs at these stations they had set up and taking in music like I'd never done before. Tonight, watching a few videos compelled me to start reviewing some music I've enjoyed and not had as much time for of late and I hit youtube to listen to some songs and artists I've missed. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Steve Bell "Here by the Water"
2. Nichole Nordeman "To Know You"
4. Tenth Avenue North "Losing" (want more of their stuff)
5. Shawn McDonald: "All I Need" (and the whole album)
6. David Crowder Band (fellow Baylor alum!) "How He Loves"
7. Third Day: "I Need A Miracle" (amazing group)
8. Shaun Groves (fellow Baylor alum!) "Should I Tell Them"
9. Ross King "Meet Me Where I Am"
10. Matthew West: "Forgiveness"
11. Sandi Patty: "Love Overflowing"
12. Michelle Tumes: "Please Come Back"
There are many more, but these are a few that came to mind over the past few days as I worked on this post. I love songs that tell a story! My best friend, Maren, once said about me, "You're one of the only people I know who tells me about a song by telling it as a story." I hope these songs are meaningful as you hear and/or see them!
~ Mama Bruffey ~
Daughter of God, Wife of One, Mother of Two
No comments:
Post a Comment