We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Bruffeys at Christmas

As Josh, Jacob and I go through our days this December with the weather turning cooler, my heart turns towards things most precious in my life (that at times get overlooked as I rush through my work days, days as a Mama, days dealing with finances and cleaning and keeping up with my amazing 13 month old)... my Savior, my Father in Heaven, my beloved husband, my precious son, and our incredible family that has always thrived and survived on love at all costs and unity finding triumph over discord. I am blessed. I have dreams unfulfilled, expectations unmet, hurts unhealed... but I am BLESSED. I have food. I have friends. I have family. I am warm when outside it is cold and full when much of the world is in want. Beyond these physical needs, my spiritual need is met and because of this all the other needs and desires have a place to rest - in the hands of my Father - Yahweh. Jehovah Rapha (the Lord that heals), Jehovah Tsidkenu (the Lord our Righteousness), Jehovah Jireh (the Lord will Provide), Jehovah Shammah (the Lord is There). I am NONE of these things, yet through Christ I am healed, righteous, provided for, and never alone. 

As I think today and have a heart full of hurts and hopes - both mine and those belonging to dear ones around me - I had to stop and think of what is true. This is true: Jesus was born. He IS God's son. He lived a sinless life. He died on my behalf to conquer the sin that separated me from my Maker, my TRUE Father. He redeems me through faith in Him. I CAN and DO know God through Jesus. THAT is Christmas. 

I have long been jaded against cultural Christmas - after my huge let down at age 9 that Santa wasn't real. I have something of a deep, dramatic personality that YEARNS to BELIEVE. And believe I did - in Santa. HE met my needs and heart's desires. When I found out HE was FAKE... it was devastating. But JESUS is REAL and DOES meet my needs - not always my wants, but my NEEDS. As I look at my son and ponder what I want his Christmas memories to be... I wonder, will he be like me and devastated by the myth that is Santa? Or more like his Dad and take it in stride. We don't know... can't predict, so we've decided not to teach that Santa is real. We'll talk about Santa as sort of the "mascot" of cultural Christmas in much of the world. But I want Christmas to be JESUS, family, friends... unity, love, redemption, forgiveness and fun - all those things that Jesus brought to humankind by leaving his throne and wrapping himself in our humanness so that we might know our Heavenly Father who loves us.

Today, I think of many hurts around me but am AWE as I watch God intervene and bring TRUTH from lies, LIGHT from darkness, HEALING from hurt, and PROVISION of hearts' desires. Even when he seems to tarry, I am reminded that HIS timing is perfect:

"There is a time for everything. There's a time for everything that is done on earth"
~ Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIRV, Bible)

I know not everyone celebrates Christmas, Jesus, or the life of Christianity. But I do. It is me. My culture. My Faith. My life. I know there are Christians who reject Christmas altogether and that is fine. I did some reading that pulled me back from this thinking and enabled me to embrace some cultural celebrations by sorting out that which contradicts my faith and eliminating this while still enjoying the innocent, enjoyable parts of holidays and human customs. And it is from this I celebrate Christmas by focusing on the blessing of family, friends, and this life I live on earth. Not by accident. Nothing by chance. All by design. So I share this as a part of what blogging is for me - sharing of me. Not to offend, just to share. In our culture where families are so spread out and friends live so far away, I want to share so we may stay somewhat connected as we live life, raise families, and journey from the cradle to the grave. 

So, from the Bruffey family to our beloved friends and family: we wish you Merry Christmas. May you know the love that is God - all year round! May you enjoy cultural customs that bring together friends and family and gives many time away from the daily grind, but more than that may you experience a love that lasts through each day, each journey, and straight through to eternity!
     

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and eloquent post Elizabeth:). You should think about writing a book someday...if you haven't already thought of it:). Nathan and I don't plan on lying to our child about Santa either:). Love your blog background and the pics in the header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! I've considered writing a book someday - I already have a title in mind, smile. Gotta get a few more Mama years under my belt... but I told Josh I want to start keeping notes if only I can get disciplined! I'm excited to see how our family Christmas traditions unfold... I know a lot of people in our generation who are forgoing the Santa thing. Thanks for introducing me to TCBOTB! Can't wait to meet your EMMA! :-)

    ReplyDelete