CLEAN BEAUTY for CLEAN LIVING
As the COVID-19 life has unfolded, my attention to clean beauty took a hiatus. Over the past few weeks, I've jumped back in for the sake of my overall health. I am still learning through my dear friend, Thara Reinitz at Proverbs 31 in Progress!
Here are some sites I rely on for information and product ordering:
- 100 Percent Pure
- The Detox Market
- Credo Beauty
- The EWG (Environmental Working Group) Skin Deep Database
- The Think Dirty App (I use this app on my phone)
Also, there are many YouTube channels with people teaching about various clean beauty and personal care items. Just a few that I've saved to my YouTube channel are:
Elizabeth: Clean Beauty & Skincare
(*NOTE: while many of these are clean beauty specific, some of these channels explain about general ideas of makeup application and skincare routine - I look for clean products to replace those more toxic products at times recommended.)
SKINCARE: The Foundation!
1. Cleansers:
* MORNING: Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bar - I've used this for about 8 years and it has made a difference for my skin tone and acne
* MORNING: After cleansing, I use Bragg's brand Apple Cider Vinegar (straight) on a cotton ball dabbed on my face and neck - I have found that it does a beauitful job of clearing up any blemishes or other skin issues and keeps my skin from getting too oily during the day.
* NIGHT: After double cleansing, I use 100% Pure Fermented Rice Water Toner. I am excited about finding another fermented skincare product. I use one pump and dab it on my face, under the eyes, and on my neck.
* MORNING: After allowing the toner to dry, if I use the ACV, I apply Honest Company Hydrogel Cream - it is a light and yet effective moisturizer that has worked well for my oil-prone skin in the very humid climate I live in here in Houston, TX.
5. Eye Care:
* NIGHT: I use the under eye cream from 100% Pure called Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream and love the scent and feel!
* AS NEEDED: I still use the DoTerra HD Clear Oil blend as a spot treatment after I apply moisturizer during the day or when my toner dries if I'm not using a moisturizer.
MAKEUP: The fun!
I have found several brands that I enjoy. Here is what I am using now:
1. Concealer: Hynt Beauty Duet Perfecting Concealer in the color Fair, ordered from The Detox Market. It goes on smoothly, but I struggle with a little creasing as I'm applying and am working on the balance of ensuring my moisturizer is soaked in enough before applying the concealer and maybe putting less moisture under my eyes during the day before applying the concealer.
I have really loved the Jane Iredale PurePressed Base Mineral Foundation with SPF 20/15 in the color Warm Sienna. A friend gifted me a Jane Iredale Makeup Kit and I fell in love with this powder foundation.
Once I ran out of the Jane Iredale, I decided I wanted to try a liquid foundation again, so have been trying 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Full Coverage Water Foundation in the color Cool 1.0. The color has been wonderful, though a smidge pinker than shades I've used in the past, it has worked well with my skin and been great when I'm working where I am on a tv screen the entire time. I chose this foundation because it offers a "dewy finish", which I wanted. But, given my already more oily skin (though the oil in my skin has lessened as I've aged) and the very humid climate in which I live, some days the look becomes a bit TOO dewy. But it hasn't been bad enough for me to return the foundation. It goes on nicely and has a good amount of coverage.
When I run out of this, I plan to try the 100% Pure Bamboo Blur Foundation that has a matte finish and is for oily skin types. (AND I'll invest in more of the Jane Iredale Mineral Foundation so I can alternate).
3. Blush: Right now I am using the Jane Iredale PurePressed Blush in the color Mocha that is in the Makeup Kit I received. Once that runs out, I'm going to try some different options, but I've been pleased with how well it stays and the pigmentation thus far.
4. Powder:
* I have recently been using samples of the Silk Naturals Perfecting Powder in both Silk and Vegan. I have liked it and it doesn't leave my face looking white, but does give a good protective and mattifying finish over my makeup. I am not yet buying the full sized because there is another powder in the clean beauty world that I've wanted to try for a while. After I compare the 2, I'll make a decision as to which I prefer.
* RMS Beauty Un-Powder: THIS is the "holy grail" of clean beauty, untinted finishing powder. I was recently able to order it and am really looking forward to incorporating it into my makeup regime!
5. Eye Color:
* Eye Liner: Jillian Dempsey Natural Kohl Eyeliner in the color Rich Brown. I bought this in February of this year (2020) and it has been the perfect answer to my eyeliner love! It goes on smoothly with rich, deep pigment. Eyeliner has long been one of my favorite things to use and I was excited to find a clean version that has such great color and smooth application!
* Eye Shadows: I love having a variety of eye shadows to play with, to mix colors, to add definition and bring out my eyes. I have a more hooded eye lid, so as I age I am continuing to work with how I use eye shadow colors to bring out and open up my eyes. I am currently using a combination of these shadows:
(a) Jane Iredale (in the Makeup Kit - the colors are Oyster (a white shimmer) and Supernova (a mocha purple). I love these colors and the shadow quality!
(b) Honest Company Get it Together Eye Shadow Palette - this is SO affordable and has great pigmentation and color selection for both shadows and powder lining!
(c) Silk Naturals - Powder Eye Shadows - she has SO many fun colors!! I ordered 4 recently (VIEW - a light, glittery pink; Leaf - a soft olive green; Moss - a bit darker green; Present - a deep purple shimmer) and I have been incredibly pleased with the pigmentation and staying power throughout the day. I do want a good eye primer to help with the slight creasing that develops by day's end, but overall I'm pleased with these shadows.
5. Eye Brows:
* I've been using the 100% Pure Green Tea Fiber Brow Builder. The color worked great and I liked the thickness for taming brows and adding color. However, it dried out fairly quickly. I had previously bought a NYX comparable product that was a mascara-like brow color with a wand... it has lasted over 6 months! Now, while I am sure it is the toxic chemicals in the NYX product that have allowed it to last longer, for the cost difference, I cannnot justify buying the 100% Pure version if it only lasts 1 month or less. So, that prompted me to look for other products that would last longer and that also were a bit different in application than the mascara-like product. That said, I did love using it before it dried up (after about 30 uses) and it had great pigmentation and stayed all day.
* I just ordered the EcoBrow Eyebrow Defining Wax in the color Sharon and cannot wait to use it! And a dear friend purchased the Lily Lolo Angled Brow Spoolie Brush that she uses with EcoBrow and I am so excited to add this brush to my collection! After trying different brow options, I cannot wait to see if this will be my go-to!
![]() |
| Lily Lolo Angled Spoolie Brush |
6. Mascara: I am sticking with the Honest Company Extreme Length Mascara + Lash Primer because it is clean and affordable. It does clump some, but not as badly as other clean mascaras I've tried and with the right application it goes on really well. I've learned to apply the white primer first and allow it to dry and then the black mascara.
7. Lips:
* I've been using the Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain that came in the Jane Iredale Makeup Kit in the color Forever Pink. It has incredible soft and moisturizing color that brings out a pink shade on my lips.
* I also ordered the Lip Spritzer in the color Sheer Medium Pink Shimmer from Silk Naturals and am loving it!
HAIR CARE: The crown!
I have more recently been transitioning to clean hair care. My hair has taken quite a beating over the past several years as I grew my family through pregnancy. My thyroid became sluggish after my 3rd birth in 2015, and I've been on a natural desiccated thyroid medication since that time with continuous monitoring of my thyroid health. Aging, pregnancies, and stress have all contributed to my hair thinning somewhat and becoming dryer on the ends while still getting more oily if I don't wash frequently. My twin sister and I have talked and I told her I felt CERTAIN we could regain hair health with some internal and external nourishing. I've been using integral collagen for a few years along with staying on my prenatal vitamins and other supplements. I notice a real difference when I slack on the vitamins/supplements!
What I've added this year to nourish my hair:
1. Per a Chinese medicine specialist that a friend uses (she has similar thyroid health issues): I've added Rosemary Essential Oil to my shampoo (After reading various things online, I chose the chemotype Verbenone as it is listed as being the most therapeutic for skin and scalp and hair).
2. I am washing less often - still in the detox stage, but am aiming to wash every 3rd or, ultimately, 4th day.
3. I am using Sebastian Dark Hair Oil on my ends only on the days I wash my hair and then apply heat to style it. I first blow dry my hair and then add this to the ends before using my flat iron or curling iron. So far, I love it and how it smooths and nourishes my hair.
4. I've also ordered and will be using the ArtNaturals Argan Hair Oil Mask. I plan to use this once or twice a week at first and see how my hair responds.
5. I recently ordered a new shampoo and conditioner through The Detox Market that I am excited to use. My twin sister and I need some volume assistance and she has been using this and LOVING her hair. It is the Rahua Organic Voluminous Shampoo and the Rahua Organic Voluminous Conditioner.
6. VOLUME! While shopping for the shampoo and conditioner, I happened upon the Innersense brand "I Create..." line of hair care. After reading reviews, I ordered the "I Create Volume" root volumizing lotion. I will update after I've been able to use it for a while, but from reading reviews and the product description, I am very optimistic about its benefit to my hair!
So that's where I am currently, continuing to learn and make tweaks as I figure out what best works for my skin and hair!

































No comments:
Post a Comment