We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Sunday, May 2, 2021

Clean Living: Clean Beauty (Update Spring 2021 & Fall 2022)

CLEAN BEAUTY for CLEAN LIVING: AN UPDATE

The past several years have been a wonderful journey of transitioning to more clean personal care products. From skin to makeup to haircare. It is an ongoing journey as I continue to learn and find products that best work with my skin as it ages and changes. As I type this update, I am 30 weeks pregnant, so pregnancy and hormones have certainly impacted my skin and I'll update once I'm 6 months to a year postpartum to see how my skin needs may have changed. For now, here are the products I'm using for (1) Skincare (The Foundation), (2) Makeup (The Fun), and (3) Haircare (The Crown). 

As I shared previously, here are resources I use both in research and product acquisition:

  1. 100 Percent Pure
  2. The Detox Market
  3. Credo Beauty
  4. The EWG (Environmental Working Group) Skin Deep Database
  5. The Think Dirty App (I use this app on my phone)
  6. Thara Reinitz with Proverbs 31 in Progress
  7. Suzi with Gurl Gone Green

Also, there are many YouTube channels with people teaching about various clean beauty and personal care items. Just a few that I've saved to my YouTube channel are:

Elizabeth: Clean Beauty & Skincare 

(*NOTE: while many of these are clean beauty specific, some of these channels explain about general ideas of makeup application and skincare routine - I look for clean products to replace those more toxic products at times recommended.)

SKINCARE: The Foundation!

My daily routine is divided into day and night.

DAY:

1.       CLEANSE: African Black Shea Moisturizer Soap


2.       TONE: 100% Pure Fermented Rice Water Toner (as needed for moisture)




3.       REPAIR/TREAT: Niacinamide serum (as needed for acne) (*NOTE: I use this rarely and do not use Vitamin C serum if I use niacinamide,  because they are both less effective if used together. This is one of the reasons I use Vitamin C serum at night.)



4.       MOISTURIZE: Honest Hydrogel Cream


5.       SPF: Pipette SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen (I buy this at either Credo Beauty or iHerb)


NIGHT:


1.       CLEANSE (double): One Love Organics Botanical B EnzymeCleansing Oil & One Love Organics Easy Does It Foaming Cleanser




2.       TONE: 100% Pure Fermented Rice Water Toner



3.       REPAIR/TREAT: Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum (I buy this at iHerb or Ulta) (Why I am using my vitamin c serum at night; More information on Vitamin C Serum and its benefits and use)

4.       EYE: 100% Pure Coffee Bean Eye Cream


5.       MOISTURE: Hyaluronic Acid (add before moisturizer so moisturizer locks in moisture; some sources say to apply to damp skin or mist with water first) (This is in my fermented toner, so I don’t add separately; it is also in my day moisturizer from Honest)


Information about hyaluronic acid:

* What is hyaluronic acid and why do I need it?

* Hyaluronic Acid: Everything You Need to Know

* Hyaluronic Acid Will Pretty Much Give You New Skin


6.       MOISTURE: Andalou AgeDefying Resveratrol Q10 Night Repair Cream (I buy this at iHerb or Ulta)

**This is great for those with oily skin. I found the recommendation on Proverbs 31 in Progress and have loved this night cream!



Other Treatments:

As needed, I still use the DoTerra HD Clear Oil for acne spot treatment, though I haven't needed this lately.



MAKEUP: The Fun!

1. ConcealerHynt Beauty Duet Perfecting Concealer in the color Fair, ordered from The Detox Market. It goes on smoothly, but I struggle with a little creasing as I'm applying and am working on the balance of ensuring my moisturizer is soaked in enough before applying the concealer and maybe putting less moisture under my eyes during the day before applying the concealer. I have watched video applications and this is a well loved concealer, but I'm still working on the application for myself. It is a great color match and does soak in well overall. 


2. Foundation:

I have been using 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Full Coverage Water Foundation in the color Cool 1.0. The color has been wonderful, though a smidge pinker than shades I've used in the past, it has worked well with my skin and been great when I'm working where I am on a tv screen the entire time. I chose this foundation because it offers a "dewy finish", which I wanted. But, given my already more oily skin (though the oil in my skin has lessened as I've aged) and the very humid climate in which I live, some days the look becomes a bit TOO dewy, but during the colder winter months (which are short in Houston) it was perfect. But it hasn't been bad enough for me to return the foundation. It goes on nicely and has a good amount of coverage. With a good setting powder, it has been great!


This summer, I plan to try the 100% Pure Bamboo Blur Foundation that has a matte finish and is for oily skin types. It is listed as a foundation, but is actually a tinted moisturizer, so I'm looking forward to trying it for the summer.


 Recently, I ordered some samples from The Detox Market, and tried the Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation in Formentera SF1 (after emailing with Ilia to do a skin match) and LOVE it!! I am hoping to use this foundation next summer. (Fall 2022 UPDATE - this is now my FAVORITE Daily foundation!)


3. Blush: Right now I am using the Jane Iredale PurePressed Blush in the color Mocha that is in the Makeup Kit I received. Once that runs out, I'm going to try some different options, but I've been pleased with how well it stays and the pigmentation thus far. 


After doing some reading and research specifically about skin-over-40, I have found there is great benefit to using cream products over powder products that lessens the chance of powder creating creasing in lines and wrinkles. So, I began researching cream blush and plan to try the Kjaer Weis Cream Blush (I want to start with the color Blossoming) when the budget allows, but in my The Detox Market samples, I was able to get a sample of the RMS Lip2Cheek Cream Blush in the color Modest and I LOVE it! I'm sold on cream blush!



FALL 2022 UPDATE: I now use cream blush exclusively - alternating with KW and RMS Beauty.

4. PowderRMS Beauty Un-Powder: THIS is the "holy grail" of clean beauty, untinted finishing powder. I have been using this for months and LOVE it. It sets my makeup well and I don't get too dewy or oily looking throughout the day. a little goes a long way so it has lasted me and I still have a great deal left. 

5. Bronzer: Lily Lolo Pressed Bronzer in the color Miami Beach - I am newer to bronzer and JUST bought this in the past week and have used it once so far. I love the look and have been reading and researching on bronzer use after 40 and using an "E or 3" technique I found on several sites to apply. Lily Lolo  is a quality, clean bronzer with 3 shades. I am really pleased with this shade! Here are some more bronzer tips and tricks if you are new to using it like I am:

* How to Apply Bronzer Like a Pro (this shows the "E or 3" technique)

* The No-Fail Guide to Applying Bronzer (I keep to the bronzer use over 40 tips as far as where to apply, but this gives some good tips on order of your makeup)


6. Eye Color:

Eye LinerJillian Dempsey Natural Kohl Eyeliner in the color Rich Brown. I bought this in February of 2020 and I still have it. It has been the perfect answer to my eyeliner love! It goes on smoothly with rich, deep pigment. Eyeliner has long been one of my favorite things to use and I was excited to find a clean version that has such great color and smooth application! 


Eye Shadows: I still love having a variety of eye shadows to play with, to mix colors, to add definition and bring out my eyes. I have a more hooded eye lid, so as I age I am continuing to work with how I use eye shadow colors to bring out and open up my eyes. I am currently using a combination of these shadows:

(a) Jane Iredale (in the Makeup Kit - the colors are Oyster (a white shimmer) and Supernova (a mocha purple). I love these colors and the shadow quality!



(b) Honest Company Get it Together Eye Shadow Palette - this is SO affordable and has great pigmentation and color selection for both shadows and powder lining!


(c) Silk Naturals - Powder Eye Shadows - she has SO many fun colors!! I ordered 4 recently (VIEW - a light, glittery pink; Leaf - a soft olive green; Moss - a bit darker green; Present - a deep purple shimmer) and I have been incredibly pleased with the pigmentation and staying power throughout the day. I do want a good eye primer to help with the slight creasing that develops by day's end, but overall I'm pleased with these shadows. 




5. Eye Brows:

* I was using the 100% Pure Green Tea Fiber Brow Builder. The color worked great and I liked the thickness for taming brows and adding color. However, it dried out fairly quickly.  I just could not justify buying the 100% Pure version if it only lasts 1 month or less. So, that prompted me to look for other products that would last longer and that also were a bit different in application than the mascara-like product. That said, I did love using it before it dried up (after about 30 uses) and it had great pigmentation and stayed all day.

* Through Thara at Proverbs 31 in Progress, I learned about and ordered EcoBrow Eyebrow Defining Wax in the color Sharon and it has been perfect! I use the Lily Lolo Angled Brow Spoolie Brush. This has become my go-to for my brows. 



6. Mascara: I am sticking with the Honest Company Extreme Length Mascara + Lash Primer because it is clean and affordable. It does clump sometimes for me, but not as badly as other clean mascaras I've tried and with the right application it goes on really well. I've learned to apply the white primer first and allow it to dry and then the black mascara. 



7. Lips:

* Treatment: I've been dealing with dry lips that have gotten flaky. I made my own exfoliator (http://fatcaterpillarfitness.com/2020/06/10/diy-organic-honey-lip-scrub/) and that has helped, but I also wanted a good balm/treatment for overnight. I had Vaseline so was using that, but it isn't clean. After reading and researching, I found the Ilia Lip Wrap Hydrating Mask and ordered it as a sample from The Detox Market and I LOVE IT! After just one night of use, my lips were so smooth and not flaking. I am sold. As soon as I'm able to buy the full size, I will. The homemade exfoliator and this Ilia lip treatment are the perfect combo for me. 


* Color: I have several lip colors I alternate depending on what I'm wearing and my makeup. I start with a Jane Iredale lip pencil to line my lips - Jane Iredale Lip Pencil in the color Spice.

* W3ll People Optimist Lipstick in the Color "Let It Go" - this was a budget clean find I happened upon as I was research lipsticks. There are 2 other pricier brands I was drawn to, but the budget won't allow and I found this. It is clean and affordable and I am loving the color, especially with my lip liner!


* Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balm in the color Fruit Punch. I bought this when I ordered mascara one time and have really liked it. It is a lighter coverage but is good for moisture and just that hinted pop of color. 


* 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Lip Glaze in the color Vixen. A friend gifted me this and it has been a great addition of a more pink shade to my lip color collection. It goes on SO smooth!! 


*  I still occassionally use Lip Spritzer in the color Sheer Medium Pink Shimmer from Silk Naturals, as well. It is a fun color and lasts faily well.


* I've continued to use the Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain that came in the Jane Iredale Makeup Kit I got in early 2020 in the color Forever Pink. It has incredible soft and moisturizing color that brings out a pink shade on my lips.

*Future Product: I really want to try the Fitglow Beauty Lip Colour Serum in the colors Gospel, Bloom, Koi, and Nice. But that will be with a future budget ;-). My friend, Thara, with Proverbs 31 in Progress, swears by this lip gloss!

HAIR CARE: The crown!

I have continued to transition to clean hair care. My hair has taken quite a beating over the past several years as I grew my family through pregnancy. My thyroid became sluggish after my 3rd birth in 2015, and I've been on a thyroid medication since that time with continuous monitoring of my thyroid health. Aging, pregnancies, and stress have all contributed to my hair thinning somewhat and becoming dryer on the ends while still getting more oily if I don't wash frequently. My twin sister and I have talked and I told her I felt CERTAIN we could regain hair health with some internal and external nourishing. I've been using integral collagen for a few years along with staying on my prenatal vitamins and other supplements. I notice a real difference when I slack on the vitamins/supplements! And this pregnancy has, of course, helped my tresses gain fullness, which I am enjoying as long as it lasts!

1. Shampoo & Conditioner: 

* My hair care is the area I go back and forth on clean versus mainstream products. I have loved the Paul Mitchell Scalp Care Anti-Thinning shampoo, which is not clean per EWG and Think Dirty, but it has been good for my hair. I'm still researching options to replace this. 


* Avalon Organics Thickening Biotin B-Complex Shampoo and Conditioner: I used this about 4 years ago and loved it, but when I got pregnant in fall 2017, I had a lot of scalp itching and my midwife suggested it could be a plant based shampoo, which makes sense due to my number of seasonal allergies that are to plants and grasses. So I stopped using it. I recently was looking on EWG and found that this pair is now EWG certified! And it is a more affordable option! So, I got the conditioner... and HATED it. It is MUCH more watery, smells dirty to me, and did not make my hair smooth nor manageable. I am planning to return it. I went and read more reviews on other sites and found that many people had the same experience. Apparenlty, Avalon Organics reformulated around fall 2018 to achieve the EWG credential which, while great, sacrificed quality. So, I do NOT recommend this product. Others in reviews did say they liked the shampoo, but I am hesitant to try it. So, I went back to the drawing board of research for afforable but clean options for cleaning and conditioning. 

*Native Shampoo & Conditioner: I JUST found this on Think Dirty and it is a clean line created by the well known maker of clean deodorant! I bought the conditioner and love it! When my current shampoo runs out, I plan to try both the Cucumber & Mint Volumizing Shampoo and MAYBE the Almond & Shea Butter Strengthening Shampoo (the strengthening and moisturizing shampoos in this line have mixed reviews on drying of hair, so I'll look more into that down the line when I'm ready to try this).


* In the fall,  I ordered a new shampoo and conditioner through The Detox Market and loved it. My twin sister and I need some volume assistance and she has been using this and LOVING her hair. It was the Rahua Organic Voluminous Shampoo and the Rahua Organic Voluminous Conditioner. I would make this my go to, but the price point is not sustainable for our family budget, so I will only use it when I can treat myself infrequently. But if you have the budget, I highly recommend this pair!!


2. Treatments:

* Mask: I have been using the ArtNaturals Argan Hair Oil Mask 3 or so times per week and LOVE it. After more research, I learned that it is a 4 in the Think Dirty app, so not as clean as I'd like. Until I find a cleaner alternative, I am continuing to use it because it is working well for my hair and is affordable. 


* Oil: I have continued to use the Sebastian Dark Hair Oil on my ends only on the days I wash my hair and then apply heat to style it. I first blow dry my hair and then add this to the ends before using my flat iron or curling iron. So far, I love it and how it smooths and nourishes my hair. 



3. Styling:

* Volumizing: While shopping for the shampoo and conditioner in the fall, I happened upon the Innersense brand "I Create..." line of hair care. After reading reviews, I ordered the "I Create Volume" root volumizing lotion. I have been using it for several months and it does add volume. As I've aged, volumizing products sometimes make my hair have a bit more frizz or fly-aways, so I have to use this in combination with the hair oil on my ends for both volume and smoothness. A little goes a long way, so it has lasted and will continue to last - probably at least another year. The more I research clean haircare, this brand is one that comes up repeatedly, so I plan to try more of this line when I'm able. 



* Essential Oils: In my previous post, I shared that, per a Chinese medicine specialist that a friend uses (she has similar thyroid health issues), I had added Rosemary Essential Oil to my shampoo (After reading various things online, I chose the chemotype Verbenone as it is listed as being the most therapeutic for skin and scalp and hair). During pregnancy, I limit essential oil use, so am not currently doing this, but plan to add it back postpartum. 
4. Future Products:

There are several products I want to try in the future:

* Innersense Sweet Spirit Leave in Conditioner: "Innersense Sweet Spirit Leave In Conditioner works to detangle hair and boost moisture. This lightweight leave-in conditioning spray is infused with emollient oils, fragrant herbs, flower essences, and a touch of bee-friendly honey to maintain body and manageability. Lavender adds a delicate, fragrance. Certified organic plant extracts leave hair free flowing and ready for any style."


* Innersense I Create Lift Volumizing Foam: "Innersense I Create Lift Volumizing foam is a styling foam that works to smooth and add volume to straight and curly hair. Use this styling foam to add texture, boost volume, define curls, shape and sculpt wet or dry hair, or enjoy as a root refresher between washes."

* Innersense Hydrating Hair Masque: "Innersense Hydrating Hair Masque is a luxurious masque that helps repair and revitalize dry, coarse, damaged hair. Revive hair with this rich treatment masque crafted with Flax Seed, Monoi Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut, Tamanu Oils and Quinoa to help bring life to hair while delivering rich hydration and shine."


* Innersense Detox Hair Mask: "Innersense Detox Hair Mask helps to remove build up and residue by clarifying and removing impurities, especially for those living in areas with hard water or high pollution. This detox hair treatment contains charcoal, kaolin and Certified Organic white vinegar that draw microparticles to the surface, without stripping the hair of its natural oils." 




To keep me on track with my skincare, I printed out a list with my current process of skincare that I laminated and have hung on my bathroom mirror. This level of detail helps me organize the process in my mind even as I contemplate other products or additions possible for the future of my skincare, so I thought I'd share with others.


Finally, here is a recent picture from the end of April 2021 where I was really pleased with my makeup and hair (this was before my bronzer arrived, so I am not wearing that and my powder blush had faded some):


Enjoy your own clean skincare, makeup, and haircare journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment