We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Friday, October 9, 2020

Be The Bridge: My Experience (2020)

 We all have a story. A testimony. A confession. This is part of mine.


The past 10 plus weeks have been an answer... an answer to years of praying, searching, learning, grappling, hoping, aching, wrestling. As a young white girl who grew up in the Deep South - there came a point, having seen and heard and absorbed racism, when the Lord God of the Bible began showing me that ALL PEOPLE were created in the image of God and unique and precious and loved by Him - e.q.u.a.l.l.y. We are all image bearers of Christ. My parents taught me that all people are made and loved by God. At the same time, there IS a root of racism in our nation, seen clearly in the South (I mean this not as an insult to my heritage, but it is a critique... we have to speak the truth if we are to address broken things!). And I had seen it. And it felt wrong and scary and yet, as years passed and I had conversations with friends from various ethnicities and races, as I read and attended conferences, as I studied related topics in graduate school, as I learned about topics like power, privilege, and oppression from the Deaf community, I still didn't know how to really be a part of a solution in the racial injustice situation rather than passive or, worse, culpable for perpetuating the problem, even inadvertently. I began a few years ago incorporating African American history into our homeschool - but I was doing so in isolation apart from African American friends - because I'd grown up believing talking about race was rude or inadvisable. (I now know the opposite is true.) I saw God working in me, but I didn't know HOW to practically be a part of what I now know is ANTI-racism.

Then, God used a dear friend I met across an ocean 22 years ago to introduce me to "Be the Bridge" by Latasha Morrison. I'd heard of "Be the Bridge" previously, but God brought it back into my life through my friend, Colette, with an unignorable power this year.
In her book, I love how Latasha Morrison compares racism and the view that one race (white) is superior to other races to an ocean - an ocean that we are all swimming in and absorb in one way or another - whether as victim or perpetrator at one point or another. Racism is around us in various forms - systemic, individual, colorism, etc. And it IS a sin. We must all face it, talk about it, recognize culpability when so convicted, and pursue CHANGE. It is a godly calling - a godly command. The Bible says, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23), but He also says, "...and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." (Romans 3:24). THAT is reconciliation - and so as we are reconciled to God in Christ, so too should we be reconciled to one another.
We should "if possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." (Romans 12:18). To my fellow white humans - to live peaceably with fellow image bearers of God who do not look like us - we must pursue listening to People of Color and hearing their hurts, fears, and injustices with an open humility. Laying down ourselves as Christ laid himself down for us. I teach my children to listen "with our eyes, ears, hearts, and minds" - it is a multiple-times-a-day lesson in our home - and I find God teaching me to do the same thing - to listen FULLY to others whose lived-experience is different than my own.
Now, I'll never say, "I have got it. I have arrived." Especially after just 2 to 3 hours a week for 10 weeks - a drop in the bucket of time. But I CAN say, thanks to God's work, the sacrifices and work of Latasha Morrison and
Be The Bridge
, and our leaders, Colette and Tiffany, and my brothers and sisters in Christ who participated in this community - that I've learned so much that has impacted me and my soul, my husband and our children. That we know more how to DO JUSTICE. How to talk about racism and justice. And it THRILLS ME - to see a legacy changing and a heritage being created in our home founded on justice, love, humility (Micah 6:8) and equity. And I am excited to see what God will continue to do - so that there is more equity, less injustice, less brutality, and less deaths that are unwarranted among People of Color - here in America and around the world.
Here is what I know: Racism is real. Systemic racism. Individual racism. And many sins that are spawned because of a history of racism. Things like colorism. And, racism is something that separates us from one another - as fellow image bearers of God almighty - this truth is a tragedy. Racism HURTS other humans who are created in the image of God. It destroys families. It breaks hearts. It leads to atrocities and injustices that even result in death. We should LAMENT this - not avoid nor minimize this ugly truth. And also know there is HOPE - hope for healing, reconcilitation, unity, and equity. In Jesus. And THAT is what Ms. Latasha Morrison is teaching - as God has so lead and guided her. It is the gospel. And it takes work.
Are you wrestling with racial questions, confusion, hurt, anger, frustration, discouragement, hopelessness? Then I encourage you to consider "Be The Bridge" by Latasha Morrison. Y'all - this is the gospel - the gospel applied to racial reconciliation. Racism is sin that needs to be named, faced - and NAILED TO THE CROSS. We must talk, discuss, pray - looking in each other's eyes - those of us from all races, ethnicities, and backgrounds - saying I've hurt or I've been hurt or I've wronged or I've been wronged... saying I'm sorry, I forgive, I see you, I hear you - from all perspectives. "Be the Bridge" DOES JUST THIS - and guides the reader with grace and TRUTH spoken directly, yet in love, through an inexplicable journey that is life changing and hope nurturing. And through the group you can participate in you can look in the eyes of fellow image bearers of different races and ethnicities and talk about some of the hard things, the uncomfortable things, the TRUE things about race in our nation and in our world - all from a biblical and godly lens that allows you to tackle these things head on! That is HOPE! That is HOPE!
Maybe you've already walked a road of learning about race or facing racial oppression or doing racial justice work - if you haven't had the chance to participate in a "Be the Bridge" community book study, I would recommend it.
Josh
and I were so blessed, encouraged, challenged, and changed by the people we connected and learned alongside - we became close and developed friendships as we all opened up and were vulnerable and open to learning. We will continue to be in touch and encourage and pray for one another - that is a beautiful thing - community that shares truth and hard things in the love and truth of Jesus.
Being a bridge builder is something I want to DO, as God so allows, one day, one conversation, on moment, at a time. ("So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31)
If you read only one book (and I hope you'll read many!) on racial reconciliation, let it be "Be the Bridge". (https://www.amazon.com/Be-Bridge-Pursuing.../dp/0525652884)
If you are interested in a "Be the Bridge" group study, please feel free to comment below. I'd love to get you connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment