We started blogging our life as best friends, husband and wife, in 2006 shortly after we got married. Once we had children, I created a new blog for our growing family. This is our blog sharing the story of our life: beginning with our first pregnancy and our journey as parents to our beloved firstborn, BB1, who arrived in our world perfectly on 11.5.2010 and his precious sister, BB2, born on 10.6.2012, our sweet third baby, BB3, born 2.3.2015, our 3rd vivacious daughter, BB6, born on 5.1.2018 and our 2nd living son and final Bruffey Baby, BB8, born 6.23.2021. We also love our 3 greatly missed babies in Heaven, BB4 (born in Heaven at 5 weeks 5 days on 10.8.2016) BB5 (born still at 16 weeks on 2.5.2017), and BB7 (born in Heaven at 7 weeks 3 days on 10.23.2019). I will share my stories of our family, of being a wife, a mother, a home manager, a friend, a woman, a Hope Mom, and a person pursuing hope in Christ through life and death, joy and pain. Welcome to our journey!

"Show me the path where I should walk, O LORD; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."
Psalm 24: 4 - 5

Monday, August 5, 2013

7 Years - a Perfect Journey

August 5, 2006 - 7 years ago I said "I do" to my best friend and love of my life. Now, 7 years later... 2 people, 1 man, 1 woman, 2 children, 2 dogs, 3 states, 4 cities, 6 apartments/houses, and 1 great love... WHAT a journey! Perfect? No... no life is in this fallen world, but it is just what is perfect for us - to grow, stretch, refine, and teach us - together.

What a journey!

We started our day taking our new car into Honda to have the brakes looked at. THAT was fun... but we did something that is "new" to me when it comes to car stresses - we prayed about me letting go of the stress of it - I just don't want to carry the worry over another vehicle. The service guys had Josh come in and showed him all about the brake system and why it is fine, which put my mind at ease. But more than that, my husband and I praying over it and laying it before our God was a blessing on this day. 

For our anniversary, Bruffey style, we kept things simple and it turned into a perfect day for us. I surprised Josh by hiring a baby sitter - the 2nd time we've done this for a date night since Jacob was born (the 1st was after Ruth was born). We have found our Lubbock sitter! She is NOT allowed to move ever! ;-) She was awesome with Jacob (Ruth was already asleep). Josh got home, I had a crockpot dinner ready, we ate and then worked to get the kitchen clean and kids headed towards bed. I got Ruth down and Josh got Jacob dressed for bed. The sitter arrived at 7pm, we showed her around and talked about the kids and their routines/nights and helped Jacob be at ease... he was uncertain at first. We decided that, with this being our first night out that he remembers, we would bring him a surprise. We told him this and apparently it became the topic of conversation for him with the sitter. :-) 

We then headed to a local coffeehouse that is very "me" - Josh had never been and I wanted to share it with him (Gatsby's Coffeehouse). He enjoyed a cup of coffee with me (they carry almond milk for their coffee beverages - I thank them profusely EVERY time I go!). We sat and talked and talked and talked and talked... it was perfect for us! We're thinking a weekly date night now that we've found a great sitter would be nice! We had such fun just being us!

The coffeehouse closes at 9pm Monday - Thursday, so we left at 9pm and headed to Wal-Mart to find a surprise for Jacob. We wanted to get him something to go with his trains - he's gotten really into trains (started with this little track with a wind up train Josh bought him weeks and weeks ago at the dollar store). We got him a couple of Thomas the Train DVDs when we were in Dallas a few weeks ago at Half Price Books and he now LOVES Thomas. He got a Thomas the train engine that goes in the bath from my parents this summer and that has also fueled his adoration of Thomas and all his friends. He's been asking us to move our snack table from the kitchen to the living room so he can play with his trains on it - so I went on Craig's List and happened to find a great, smaller sized train table that came with a set of tracks and Thomas train engines and accessories!! It was only $40 so we bought it and surprised Jacob with it one morning! He keeps talking about his "birthday surprise" haha! We found some coordinating friends of Thomas that fit the set he already had (that only had one train - Thomas - with it). We got Ruth Evelyn a "Percy" that goes in the tub and coordinates with the "Thomas" Jacob already has that she also likes to play with. We can't wait for them to see their surprises in the morning!

We were hoping Jacob would click with the sitter. When we got home she just glowed and said "he did so well! after y'all left he started talking to me and showing me his toys. At bed time we read 3 books and he kept saying, "Mama and Daddy will bring me big surprise! and you one too!" (he likes to share the love, haha!). She told him he still had to go night night and he'd get his surprise in the morning. She said he was great and they had fun. SUCH a blessing!

And our sweet Ruth Evelyn gave us a great anniversary gift - sleep! She had been sleeping in 4 to 6 hour chunks at night - sometimes 3, but usually at least 4. Then, for the past 2 nights, it was like 1.5 to 2 hours! Last, she was asleep by 7pm and woke for the first time at 9pm! Our sitter was coming tonight 7pm - 10pm. I just "knew" Ruth would wake by 9pm, so left a bottle of pumped milk and told our sitter that she might wake early and to try giving her the bottle - she's only had one a few times when I was at work and she woke earlier than normal for Josh... a time or two she wouldn't take one at all, other times only an ounce and then she would be looking for her Mama. But I left plenty of milk just in case. I had Ruth in bed by 6:25pm and she was asleep good by 7pm - she fell asleep quickly, then woke, talked, played some with her lovey and finally fell good asleep just before we left. Well, when we were checking out at Wal-Mart before heading home it was about 9:45pm and I texted the sitter to tell her we were on our way and ask if all was ok. We hadn't heard from her, so could only assume things were fine. She texted back, "Yes ma'am!" We got home and both kids were asleep!! Ruth slept until 11:10pm - just over 4 hours of sleep! Thank you baby girl! :-)

Ready for dinner.

Ruth ready for some food! "Right here Mama!"

A happy boy :-)

Gatsby's!

I am so grateful for this local place.

Snuggled up on this couch to talk

My love!

Beautiful courtyard outside.

Josh did a little photoshoot. :-)

7 years as the bride of my best friend.

Bruff man gettin' creative with the camera!

Josh has always taken the best pictures of us together :-)

Jacob's big surprise!

Daddy assembling the train tracks (they were cleaned up for the night)

"What? I'm not too cool for Thomas!" ;-)

Ready to surprise Jacob in the morning! Josh got creative with the setup - love this man!

This will be so fun to show Jacob and Ruth!

The Daddy

The Mama

Happy Anniversary, Josh. Thank you for asking and saying "M-A-R-R-Y M-E". Yes, yes, yes - a thousand times yes! I love you and am YOURS... still.

~ Elizabeth ~

2 comments: