December 31, 2010
HAPPY 8 WEEK BIRTHDAY, JACOB!!
Well, overall this week has been a rough one - our poor little guy doesn't sleep well and so we are up many nights. We are exhausted and I feel a lot of Mommy-guilt because I can't seem to get him on a schedule. I KNOW he is still young (just 8 weeks old today!!) but I know how IMPORTANT healthy sleep is! I've been reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" (bought this at the same time as "The Happiest Baby on the Block") - I HIGHLY recommend this to any parent - especially BEFORE your baby is born! Jacob and I have had some precious moments amidst the insomnia for him and exhaustion for me. I just LOVE this boy and already grieve the thought of returning to work in 2 weeks. But OH how I want to learn more how to know his sleepy signals and help him embrace sleep! It is hard on me, on us as a couple, and certainly on our little boy.
Here are some pictures of me and my boy the past 2 days - moments to treasure as we journey together:
December 30, 2010
Jacob in his Baby Bjorn with his babywearin' Mama! (whose back cannot wait for her new baby carrier!!)
My mother gave me this kit to make a handprint ornament and I finally made time. After a rough morning and tears, I pulled it together and made a memory with my little one!
I made 2 ornaments - a footprint and a handprint. Here is his precious footprint. It will take 2 to 3 days to dry - so should be ready Sunday!
His little hand!
This was a GREAT kit - no baking, mixing, etc. So easy with a newborn!
When they are dry, we'll add ribbon to hang them with and put his initials and the date so they are ready for next Christmas!
December 31, 2010
Jacob's 8 week birthday!
In his bouncy checking out Mr. Snail!
A precious face I adore!
Sleeping in Mommy's lap for his afternoon nap (it is a dark picture because I took it on my Blackberry)
My new baby carrier came today - the Beco Baby Gemini! Lovin' it and so is my back. We are still learning how to wear it , but it was easy to put on! It can be worn 4 ways - front forward facing, front inward facing, back, and hip! I'll use this for a while - until he's 35lbs!
A great lookin' carrier on this happy, babywearing Mama!
I love you, Jacob and look forward to the many memories ahead for you and me!
To share: We had some successes today: he slept in his crib 11am - 11:30am (if he naps, 30 minutes is about it!), then in my lap after nursing 1:10pm or so - 2:15pm. Then he ate and had some awake time, but by 3:45pm he was FUSSY and inconsolable - I tried Gripe Water thinking maybe tummy troubles but by 4pm he was screaming. I thought maybe he was hungry, though the cry sounded a bit different and based on when he started crying it was too early for his usualy eating - about 2 or so hours apart. BUT, he has had bouts of eating every hour, so I settled to nurse him in bed - but he just SCREAMED and would not latch. "HE'S TIRED!!" I thought! Eureka! OK, so how to get this boy to sleep?!?! We try it all... it had been a few days since I did a regular blanket swaddle, but the Woombies I bought don't give as snug a swaddle and his level of crying told me he needed a good swaddle. I grabbed a receiving blanket and got him swaddled, then picked him up and followed the 5 S's ("Happiest Baby" book) - he was swaddled, I held him on his side, started "swinging" (in this case a slight jiggle with bouncing) and loud SSSHHHHHHHH-ing in his ear - he calmed INSTANTLY and I could SEE how tired his little face was! I kept up the S's (the only one I didn't do was sucking - since he calmed without his binkie, I left that one out)... until I could tell he was past the fit... then thought I'd see if he'd at least rest in his swing... strapped him in and started it rocking with music going - within about 10 minutes he was asleep!! GO MOM! GO JACOB! He was drowsy but awake when I put him down so he fell asleep on his own! It is 4:40pm as I type this - he fell asleep at 4:20pm. Hoping for at least a 30 minute nap for his sake - so at least 10 minutes more. An hour would be amazing! Then we would have his medicine, some play time, eating, then bath, story, Bible, prayers, then he would have had enough awake time to put down to sleep. Here's hoping and praying!
~ A Sleepy, but Happy Mama

No comments:
Post a Comment