Josh and I went to see our O/B, Dr. Cummings, last week on March 13th. I was so hoping for some definitive clarity on not only where Baby B #2 (BB2) was that day, but also prognosis of survival. Well, God continues to teach me that life is in HIS hands and must be lived one day at a time. So, what we learned leads us to rejoice that, today, BB2 is healthy! His/her heartbeat was 173 bpm! Very strong!
UPDATE
UPDATE
Overall, the appointment wasn't as conclusive as I was hoping. We were hoping for an ultrasound so we could see updates on the SCHs (blood clots) in the uterus, but our O/B, who I really like, made a good point - that there is nothing we can see or not see that will change the outcome of the pregnancy at this point. He did tell us that the blood clots (SCH) were/are under the placenta and that this can cause miscarriage, but he does not think it will for me at this point since I've not had other signs and symptoms. He said that much of the "light duty" I'm on is as much to take care of me mentally and physically. He wants me to continue to take it easy, be attuned to my body, and not overdo.
HOW I FEEL
I'm finding that I feel that "overdone" feeling a lot easier with this pregnancy than with Jacob. I swept the front porch while at home and ended up feeling really sick and had some symptoms I don't remember having when I was pregnant with Jacob. I find I remember not as much as I wish! Anyway, the constant nausea is a reassurance... I did Zofran and it did help if I took it like twice a day, but it had a bad affect elsewhere that made me ultimately more nauseous so I stopped taking it because I was miserable, and have just tried to eat protein often, drink a lot of water, and rest. The nausea is usually "functional" which is fine with me, but by lunch time I am usually beat, so I rest while Jacob naps or nap if I can, then have energy to make it through to bedtime. We are still living with my parents until around the end of March. The official end of the trimester (which I did not think about the fact I had to make it THROUGH the 13th week, so I was thinking around March 28th or 29th, but it is actually through April 3rd) is 13 weeks, 6 days, which is around April 3rd or 4th... but our O/B feels confident I will be fine to move home by the end of the month and take over primary care of Jacob, as long as I don't overdo it. This means I won't go back to wearing him and will use our stroller more and will just lift him on a more limited basis - into his high chair, into his crib, and into the car as needed. I will probably change his diaper on the floor as long as getting down and up is not a challenge. It's just such a different pregnancy.
PRAYERS AND WHAT'S NEXT
HOW I FEEL
I'm finding that I feel that "overdone" feeling a lot easier with this pregnancy than with Jacob. I swept the front porch while at home and ended up feeling really sick and had some symptoms I don't remember having when I was pregnant with Jacob. I find I remember not as much as I wish! Anyway, the constant nausea is a reassurance... I did Zofran and it did help if I took it like twice a day, but it had a bad affect elsewhere that made me ultimately more nauseous so I stopped taking it because I was miserable, and have just tried to eat protein often, drink a lot of water, and rest. The nausea is usually "functional" which is fine with me, but by lunch time I am usually beat, so I rest while Jacob naps or nap if I can, then have energy to make it through to bedtime. We are still living with my parents until around the end of March. The official end of the trimester (which I did not think about the fact I had to make it THROUGH the 13th week, so I was thinking around March 28th or 29th, but it is actually through April 3rd) is 13 weeks, 6 days, which is around April 3rd or 4th... but our O/B feels confident I will be fine to move home by the end of the month and take over primary care of Jacob, as long as I don't overdo it. This means I won't go back to wearing him and will use our stroller more and will just lift him on a more limited basis - into his high chair, into his crib, and into the car as needed. I will probably change his diaper on the floor as long as getting down and up is not a challenge. It's just such a different pregnancy.
PRAYERS AND WHAT'S NEXT
I am praying that, at our next appointment, we'll have some visual clarity on the state of the blood clots. Since we are so near the end of the trimester, the issue with the corpus luteum is more of a non-issue as each day goes by and I'm still on the progesterone supplements. Our next appointment is on April 3rd April 4th (it was moved just recently) and I requested an ultrasound and our O/B agreed for my peace of mind. So we'll have an ultrasound at 8:30am that day, then see the O/B at 9:15am. I'm praying that the blood clots have reabsorbed or dissolved by then! And, if not, that the O/B is able to tell me something more definitive. I know, like he says, that there are no guarantees... and he has picked up on my personality and desire to plan (which he says really means "worry" lol) and so he isn't definitive unless it is something that is 100%, which I know is best.
If everything looks healthy at that appointment, we are leaning towards transferring to a midwife at a local birth center, which I'm really excited about. Our O/B is the backup doctor for this birth center, so the midwife we've talked with, that we love already - told us to ask him if we were low risk enough that he felt we were safe delivering with a midwife - and he said that "if you prefer delivering with a midwife, then that is acceptable" - so we are leaning towards that. Having experienced midwife/birth center care versus O/B care - even with an awesome O/B, if I am low risk enough - I just feel so at home with a midwife and that model of care. So we'll see how things unfold at the next appointment. So, as of the 13th, our little bean is alive and kickin' with a strong heartbeat! God is still in control and I am realizing yet again that life can only be lived one day at a time, and that there really are no guarantees other than Christ and that HE creates life and is sovereign over it all!
OUR FAMILY
OUR FAMILY
Jacob is really doing well. Josh came the weekend of March 3rd and then we were home 2 days (evening of March 11th through lunch March 13th) for my appointment and that was SO awesome! He misses his Daddy, so we call him daily and Josh sends voice recordings to my phone for him to listen to often. He loves his Grandmother and my sisters (Virginia and Maren) have been here for the weekend, so he is enjoying the people. While we were home for 2 days though, he just ran around with SUCH excitement.. he KNEW it was home. But he has been incredibly flexible! He was hit with bronchitis about a week and a half ago and had a really high temp, so we ended up at my childhood doctor here in Houston and had a round of antibiotics and are doing his breathing treatments again just to keep those lungs clear. I am amazed by his flexibility and strength so young. He has started showing just how smart he is and what an independent thinker and little man he is! He knows what he wants and when he wants it. His signing has taken off and he is a motivated communicator!! One word he has not signed but has started saying a LOT is "NO!" Josh and I are finding this the most difficult separation we've had from vacations to work trips. We miss each other and miss being our together family. But we know it is a season for a reason and that God is using this within our journey together.
Thank you to all who are walking alongside us with prayers, phone calls, and words of encouragement!
Mama Bruffey
~ Mother of 2
I am praying, as are many others!!!
ReplyDeleteHey E.! Love to hear these updates. I am thinking about ya and praying for you. Can't wait to meet baby # 2:)...heck, I can't wait to meet baby #1 someday:))
ReplyDeleteSorry you have to live apart from your hubby. At least you know this is only for a season and there is a purpose in all of this. God's plan is sovereign, although we don't always understand it in the moment. Love you lots!!!