My dear friend at Proverbs 31 In Progress has helped so much with me transitioning the things I was using that were more toxic to less toxic, healthier cleaning options. Check out her incredible post on healthy cleaning options, "Detox Your Cleaning Supplies"!
What I am now using in our home:
General:
All Purpose spray:
- I will be using either OnGuard concentrate or Thieves concentrate (I plan to have both on hand) OR
- Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as a 2 step process (this is what I am currently using as I wait to order the EO based cleaners)
Dishwasher Detergent - Grab Green Pods (unscented) (and I add a splash of white vinegar to each load because it helps with mineral build-up from hard water.)
Floors
I have long loved my Swiffer original mop, but
those refillable wet pads are far from non-toxic. So, years ago I ordered
microfiber reusable cloths that fit the Swiffer and have been alternating using
those with the store bought wet pads. Now, I am using only the reusable
microfiber cloths and a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle for my
floors and the occasional deep clean with a traditional spin mop.
Bathroom:
Toilet (or other places that have mineral
build-up) - Per Thara's advice, I plan to switch to CLR is the BEST cleaner for mineral or
rust. For years, I've used what is called Dawn-egar that is a mixture of Dawn original and vinegar. I have since learned the toxicity of Dawn, so will be switching to CLR as our budget allows.
Mirror - I use the Norwex glass cloth. And also have invested in a more affordable microfiber cloth collection that I'm excited to try - E-Cloth!
I also bought these microfiber cloths to use (4 in the kitchen, 2 for each bathroom):
Counters - I use the Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide process mentioned above. (This is the brand of hydrogen peroxide I bought, though with Coronavirus, it has been harder to find because it is such an effective disinfectant.)
Counters - I use the Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide process mentioned above. (This is the brand of hydrogen peroxide I bought, though with Coronavirus, it has been harder to find because it is such an effective disinfectant.)
Wipes - I have long been using Clorox cleaning wipes and find the concept so convenient - keeping some in my kitchen and each bathroom. As I clean up our home, I have begun making my own using a cylindrical, air-tight container with a lid, a half roll of paper towels and this mixture:
Ingredients:
- 1 TBSP almond oil
- 1 TBSP Dr. Bronner's Baby Unscented Pure Castile Soap
- 5 to 8 drops of OnGuard or Thieves essential oil
- 2 Cups boiling hot water
Directions:
- Boil 2 cups water
- Place half roll paper towels in cylindrical container
- In a bowl, mix the almond oil, dr. bronner's castile soap, and essential oil drops
- Mix hot water into the oil/soap mixture.
- Pour water/oil/soap mixture evenly over paper towels.
- Close cylindrical container and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Turn it upside down to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Turn it right side up and open the container and gently remove the paper towel roll from the center.
- Wipes are ready to use.
As you can see, my own transition is still in process. I have used vinegar for a long time, but have also relied a lot on Clorox products. For more thorough information, please see Thara's blog at Proverbs 31 in Progress: Detox Your Cleaning Supplies!















No comments:
Post a Comment