Having moved into our house when Jacob was just 13 days old, many things were put where it was most convenient at the time. We made room for our boy, but our 2nd bedroom became an office / catch-all room. As we eagerly prepare for Bruffey Baby #2, we have the opportunity to put our home in order in a way that is more "us" - functionally simplistic. Josh and I have really enjoyed getting to know ourselves as a couple as far as how we like to arrange our living spaces. We have found that we usually have to rearrange a room one or two times before it "clicks" for us. We decided to turn our basically unused dining area into something of an office and use our "office" (which is really a bedroom) as a nursery/child's room! BB2 will start off sleeping in our room for a while, so we are rearranging our bedroom as well. We learned a lot about our bedroom as far as space when Jacob was a newborn, because he shared our room, as well. We decided to sell our larger, more traditional American dresser and nightstand (a beautiful wedding gift from my parents) because we weren't using all the drawers. We both realized we could put the space to better use with a smaller dresser (IKEA here we come!) that would allow space for things like a bassinet and baby swing! and just OPEN space! We are really excited about getting our bedroom to feel like "us" where it is more of a haven. It has usually been the last room for us to consider, but with BB2 coming, I really want it to feel peaceful and "complete". We have started cleaning out the office and moving them into the dining area. There is more in the office than I realized! We haven't even touched the closet! It has all our games and boxes of things from the move - so it will be a project, but I'm taking it one thing at a time. I'm excited to see how our home evolves into a Bruffey haven for our family of 4!
Here's how our home is unfolding:
Our china hutch used to be in our dining area, but we moved it into our kitchen. I was afraid it would crowd the room, but I LOVE the dimension and character it adds!
We moved Jacob's toy drawers into his bedroom as we prepare to transition his room into more of a toddler room throughout the summer.
His books were on a bookshelf where his toys now are, so they are piled up against the wall until we get a safer, toddler friendly bookshelf.
This is where Jacob's books WILL go once we move the changing table into BB2's nursery.
This bookshelf was in our master bedroom, which we are simplifying, so we moved it into our living room where Jacob's toys used to be. It now has our fiction books and our pregnancy/birth/parenting books.
I reorganized all of our books with the moving around of bookshelves and got to redecorate our main 2 bookshelves - love the outcome!
Our new office in progress. This is the bookshelf that used to be in Jacob's room and will now serve as our office shelf and our marriage/family bookshelf. One of my favorite things is Jacob's little dining table - where he has his snacks.
Our new office almost complete! We just need to clean out files, shred things, and put some up in the attic. Then we'll be putting all of our board games into the trunk in the lower right under the window.
Our former office slowwwwly becoming a bedroom/nursery.
The desk we will be selling that needed cleaning off so it could be posted on Craig's List!
The desk cleaned off with lots now on the floor to sort through!
Our desk - it's for sale! If you are interested, check out our Craig's List posting at http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/fuo/3006618974.html
We sold our dresser and nightstand and are working to make more room in our master bedroom for BB2, who'll share our room for a while after birth - and we want room for a baby swing, smile! We loved having one in our room with Jacob, but it got SOOO crowded. So, we are simplifying! We are getting to know ourselves as a couple in terms of our home/spaces and we want simpler decor that is functional and aesthetic. We are heading to IKEA with our dresser/nightstand money! I need a place for my jewelry boxes, so used this craft table out of the former office - and used a curtain we don't use and some leftover fabric so it matches our bedding! I'm sure it will get moved once we have a dresser and I figure out a more permanent spot for my Mary Kay inventory :-) But, we are making progress! I can't wait to have BB2 in this room!
I love Josh and I working to make our home more "us", functional, as simple as possible, organized, and a haven for our family of 4!
~ Mama Bruffey
Wife of 1, Mother of 2













No comments:
Post a Comment