May 5, 2011
I cannot believe my precious boy is already 6 months old!
He has 2 teeth (bottom) and 2 more coming through (top - and one broke through overnight last night and is almost in)! He is sitting up from time to time with little support, almost crawling, rolls over both ways, scoots on the ground and turns on his tummy. He loves his puppies and is our little chatter box! We FINALLY (about 1.5 weeks ago) stopped swaddling and he now sleeps in his sleepsack with arms out! He loves his Mama and Daddy and is fascinated when we use ASL and loves to study his own little hands. I SWEAR sometimes he says something like "Mama"! I think Kylee and Betsey will be his motivation to crawl! He likes holding things and chewing on things!
He tried his first food that I pureed (carrots) yesterday, having had a little avocado and banana last month and nothing since then. We will do periodic solids and some baby lead weaning. We're not too worried about "real foods" until he's one. He nurses like a champ and is SO much fun!
Jacob has a ready smile and the best dimples! He laughs at his Daddy and always has a smile for strangers who speak to him (I'm thinking "stranger danger" will be an early lesson!). His sleep is improving a little at a time - some nights we get 4 to 5.5 hour chunks of sleep! Other nights, he still wakes after 2 hours - but that has been lately and I think teething is part of it. His naps are still usually 40 minutes, but if he takes 2 to 3 of those and sleeps ok at night, I'm happy!!
We'll see what this 7 month of his life has to hold for us! Each day is something new! Due to the top teeth coming in, he's starting "teething" on his tongue and has it sticking out rubbing his gums more often than not. He has the BEST facial expressions and furrows his little eyebrows when thinking about something. New, loud noises still can upset him, but if I'm close by and can explain it and soothe him, he warms up pretty quickly.
He has 2 teeth (bottom) and 2 more coming through (top - and one broke through overnight last night and is almost in)! He is sitting up from time to time with little support, almost crawling, rolls over both ways, scoots on the ground and turns on his tummy. He loves his puppies and is our little chatter box! We FINALLY (about 1.5 weeks ago) stopped swaddling and he now sleeps in his sleepsack with arms out! He loves his Mama and Daddy and is fascinated when we use ASL and loves to study his own little hands. I SWEAR sometimes he says something like "Mama"! I think Kylee and Betsey will be his motivation to crawl! He likes holding things and chewing on things!
He tried his first food that I pureed (carrots) yesterday, having had a little avocado and banana last month and nothing since then. We will do periodic solids and some baby lead weaning. We're not too worried about "real foods" until he's one. He nurses like a champ and is SO much fun!
Jacob has a ready smile and the best dimples! He laughs at his Daddy and always has a smile for strangers who speak to him (I'm thinking "stranger danger" will be an early lesson!). His sleep is improving a little at a time - some nights we get 4 to 5.5 hour chunks of sleep! Other nights, he still wakes after 2 hours - but that has been lately and I think teething is part of it. His naps are still usually 40 minutes, but if he takes 2 to 3 of those and sleeps ok at night, I'm happy!!
We'll see what this 7 month of his life has to hold for us! Each day is something new! Due to the top teeth coming in, he's starting "teething" on his tongue and has it sticking out rubbing his gums more often than not. He has the BEST facial expressions and furrows his little eyebrows when thinking about something. New, loud noises still can upset him, but if I'm close by and can explain it and soothe him, he warms up pretty quickly.
We both think he is a VERY analytical little boy. He studies things intently, turning them over and over in his hands if he can reach them. He looks at things around him with such intensity!
Here are his 6 month pictures from our photoshoot today. Below are some things we are doing to help him through the teething process.
The outfit below belonged to Josh and was a gift from his mother, Ruth, last summer.
Our teething boy! We got one tip from our pediatrician and one from our midwife and are trying both:
1. Amber teething necklace: It's not so much for him to chew on, but to have against his skin so the natural amber works as an analgesic. (we bought ours at our birthing center - Gentle Beginnings Birth Center in Hurst, TX).
I started out putting it on his ankle against his skin, but it fell off, so I moved it...
Jacob wearing his amber teething necklace
He hasn't even seemed to notice it and he took a nap with it on, so it's not bothering him.
2. Sophie the Giraffe: Made in France starting in 1961. A great "teether"! Our pediatrician told us about it this morning at his well baby check up and I went straight to Babies R Us. He seems to like it so far.
Jacob with his unique teething aids!
"I love my giraffe!"
"Thanks for making my teeth feel better, Sophie!"
We LOVE you buddy! You are SO much fun and help us learn how to relish and delight in life and seeing the world through you!
You are the BEST boy!!
Much love!!
Mommy & Daddy

Elizabeth, he is so handsome! He looks so much like Josh! I can't believe he is already 6 months old!! It's almost been a year since we last saw each other:). My has life changed for you! Jacob is so lucky to have you as his mommy!! I can't wait to see videos of Jacob when he starts signing!! :)smile
ReplyDeleteHappy first Mother's Day to you!
ReplyDelete